• April 295/2 SENIORS: cap and gown, honor cord and tassel pick up @ lunch
  • April 295/4 Track and Field: 5A Sectional Championship
  • April 294/29-30 Girls Tennis: State Tournament
  • April 295/1-6 Girls Tennis: State Tournament
  • April 295/1-6 Boys Tennis: State Tournament
  • April 294/29-30 Boys Tennis: State Tournament

Support Us
$350
$500

Freshmen Football

The McIntosh freshmen football team is often overlooked, but they also deserve to receive some credit.

Finishing last week, the freshman completed their first season as McIntosh Chiefs 4-3, the first winning record the freshmen have had in McIntosh history. With their first season at McIntosh came the first season for many of the coaches for the freshman team. Coach Sam Cruver started his first year at McIntosh head coaching the freshmen. Cruver said, “Our goal was to change the philosophy of football at McIntosh. Winning helps to change the philosophy, but our goal was to create a program that instills fun and love, not just football.” The coaching staff has been very successful in instilling these qualities in their players. Left tackle Asa Smith said, “On the field, the coaches have pushed us to become better players and have told us to focus on our studies before football.”

Another goal of the coaching staff was to build the program and keep the guys involved in the football program from their freshman year until their senior year. Linebacker Dawson Riesselmann said, “I think my teammates and I will continue our success for the next three years. As long as we continue to work hard in the weight room and in practice, I don’t see a reason for us not to succeed.” Right tackle Douglas Wood agrees, having said, “I feel like it is a well-coached program and we can have lots of success if we do everything right. I expect to do well as long as we keep playing our best.”

The transition from middle school to high school sports is always challenging at the beginning of the season for freshmen. Defensive tackle Hunter Fox said, “High school football was definitely a lot more challenging and pushed us to be better.” Linebacker Robby Mustic agreed that it was different, saying, “The difference between middle and high school football is the speed of the game. The speed doubled and the coaches are much stricter on us, but I like high school a lot more.”

Both the coaches and the players have enjoyed their first seasons at McIntosh. When asked about his favorite memory, Cruver said, “A video of pictures from the beginning of the season and seeing the increase of knowledge of football and football, and growth of their persons through the season. The moment is the moments of the kids growing as people and as a team.” Cruver wanted the guys to go out, have a good time, and go out on top. He wanted them to take advantage of the opportunity they had at hand to make a change in the program, going out with no regrets.

The players have done well to live up to Cruver’s requests. Safety Dillan Humbard said, “[My favorite part of the season was the] camaraderie between players and friendships that have been developed throughout the season.” Linebacker Dawson Riesselmann agreed, who said, “My first year in McIntosh has been great. It’s been great to get to play with so many old friends, and the coaches are great. I feel like I’ve really been able to step up my game this year.”

This season, the freshmen have finished 4-3. The guys had a strong start, winning against East Coweta, Whitewater, and Northgate, but suffered halfway through the season, when they struggled against Sandy Creek, Fayette, and Newnan. Wide receiver Jordan Lyons said, “My favorite memory was scoring the winning touchdown against East Coweta with 30 seconds left in the game.”

Looking into the future, the freshmen team wants to stay involved in the program and look forward to getting the opportunity to play on the varsity team. Cruver said, “I truly believe they’ll be successful. They have big hearts and see the importance of dedication.” With the football program turning around this year, hopefully the guys will stay in the program to continue to build the program to its full potential.

$350
$500