Canva graphic made in Canva by staff writer Ashley Nip.
Ashley Nip

NCAA Women’s Final Four

Women’s basketball is changing because of the finals this year

Women’s basketball has been getting more attention than ever before. According to nielsen.com the game that took place on Friday, April 4, 2024, at 9 pm, UConn vs Iowa averaged 14.2 million viewers on ESPN, making it the most viewed basketball game broadcasted on ESPN.  According to usatoday.com the championship game between Iowa and South Carolina peaked at 24 million viewers and averaged about 18.7 million Many promising players have caught people’s eye, however, the one that has truly made herself known is Caitlin Clark. 

People say that Caitlin Clark could change women’s basketball forever. She is the new NCAA women’s basketball all-time leading scorer. Clark is known to make far, deep 3-pointers and being able to find her teammates when she is guarded. 

NC State vs South Carolina

The undefeated Gamecocks ended up winning and advancing to the championship with the final score of 78-59.

Iowa vs UConn

At the game, Nika Mühl was truly outstanding with her defense on Caitlin Clark barely letting her get the ball in the first half of the game. Aaliyah Edwards was called for a foul, but when looking back at the footage, it looked like Gabbie Marshall ran into her. Fans of UConn were upset saying the refs were taking sides with Iowa. However, people took it too far and sent her death threats after the call. 

In the last second of the game, Caitlin Clark bounced the ball on Paige Bueckers when she wasn’t looking. Again, UConn fans were mad that she did that, while others said it was a smart move. The game ended with the final score being 69-71, Iowa taking the win. 

Iowa vs South Carolina

The game started with Iowa taking a lead in the first quarter ending with 27-20, Caitlin Clark scoring 18 points. According to ESPN, that’s the most points in any quarter by a single player in the national championship game. South Carolina had some foul trouble but managed to get past that stealing from Iowa and scoring. South Carolina overcame them mainly by scoring inside with Kamilla Cardoso. They won 75-87. 

A lot of heartbreak and joy from the teams with the finals being over. Paige Bueckers is staying with UConn for yet another great year. UConn players Nika Mühl and Aaliyah Edwards had their last game against Iowa. UConn fans are sad to see them go but are happy for them to move forward. Iowa’s Caitlin Clark also had her last career game against South Carolina. Kamilla Cardoso from South Carolina is also leaving. She is an outstanding player who has also made herself known for her height of 6’7 and her amazing inside plays. Kamilla Cardoso, Caitlin Clark and Aaliyah Edwards are declared for the draft of the WNBA.