Breaking News
  • April 224/25 Track and Field: Region 2-5A Championship @ 9:00 am
  • April 224/22-24 Boys Tennis: State Tournament
  • April 224/25-27 Spring Gala
Don't Miss a Minute of McIntosh.

McIntosh Trail - The Student News Site of McIntosh High School

Don't Miss a Minute of McIntosh.

Don't Miss a Minute of McIntosh.

Capital improvements planned for McIntosh High School

MHS parking lot renovated over the summer; auxiliary gym, other construction next
An aerial drone shot of McIntosh High School shows the extent of the parking lot renovations that took place over the summer. Photo by Seth Bishop

Assistant Superintendent of Operations Steve Cole called for an update on capital projects including an athletic complex auxiliary gym and on-site tennis courts according to the Fayette County Board of Education meeting minutes from April 24. McIntosh is expecting these improvements to start later this year. Renovations began over the summer constructing the new parking lot to add more car spaces due to complaints of the amount of car parking spots.

Parking lot renovations

The McIntosh parking lot was already under renovation after the 22-23 school year ended – not to add more golf cart spots, but only car spots, according to Assistant Principal Leon Hammond.

“Did it give us more [golf cart] spaces? No. Part of [the] overcrowding [complaints]  was that we started checking [golf cart parking permits] so that’s kind of misleading about it being overcrowded simply because you have a number of students who are parking illegally,” Hammond said.

The changes to McIntosh and the new parking lot had been reportedly requested for years. 

“We knew eventually there’s [going to] be work done based on adding a new auxiliary gym so we knew that was going to be a possibility. I guess that was over multiple years of asking for additional car spaces,” Hammond said. 

One student isn’t sure about how renovated the parking lot is, and junior Addy Blair is unable to tell a change.

Graphic of the new capital improvements created by Luke Soule in Canva

“I think that last year had less space, however, this year’s parking lot, is it really any different,” Blair said. 

Students have adjusted to the new parking lot and increased parking but some still think there are issues with parking.

Junior Zach Graf has been parking a vehicle on campus for two years and hasn’t noticed improvement.

“I still think the parking lot is pretty full, and that there’s not very many spaces,” Graf said, “It’s actually quite a problem trying to fit into the spaces. They’re quite small.”

One student had noticed that students were hitting other carts due to a lack of space. 

“I was sitting in one of the middle spots ready to back out and [a student] backed into me and then zoomed off,” Blair said. 

Rebekah Bushmire takes photos of the renovation whenever she passes by MHS over the summer.

Graf agrees that despite the improvements, collisions still happen.

“There are certain parts in the parking lot where the vehicles are so close together that if you want to get out, the cars come very close to hitting each other. And sometimes they’ll get dents and scratches on their car,” he said.

One student sees the parking lot in more of a positive way.

“I like it. [It’s] a lot more organized,” junior AJ Evans said. 

Both Blair and Graf have advice for any student looking to park a vehicle on campus.

“Try to come early and beat everyone else so that you can get a good parking spot or [one of the] larger spots behind the teacher parking,” Graf said. 

But Blair isn’t as optimistic.

“There is no point [during] this school year that you will not get hit because there’s not enough space in between the first two rows [of golf cart parking],” Blair said. 

Editors’ note: This is the first in a series on all the capital improvements coming to McIntosh over the course of the 2023-2024 school year.

$250
$500

Your donation supports the student journalists of McIntosh High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase photography equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Luke Soule
Luke Soule, Multimedia Editor
Multimedia editor Luke Soule is a senior at McIntosh High School and has returned for his second year on the McIntosh Trail. Soule received an all-georgia and superior award during his first year on the staff as a writer and specializes in writing about film, music and environmental issues. He is also an editor for the Mischief Literary Magazine. Soule enjoys writing poetry and stories and has written multiple screenplays. Music and film are big parts of Soule’s life. He taught himself to play guitar and currently takes music theory and piano lessons. His favorite artists are Death Grips, Gregory Alan Isakov and Hugh Masekela. He also began writing screenplays at the age of 13. His favorite movies are The Master, Swiss Army Man and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. He frequently volunteers at the Fayette Humane Society and Clothes Less Traveled.
$250
$500