Pennies for Patients

Adelaide Barrett

Students across McIntosh donate money to the fundraiser through boxes labeled “Join the Hero Squad.”

Adelaide Barrett, Staff Writer

The Pennies for Patients Fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, which took place from Sept. 16 to Sept. 27, was sponsored by teacher Ward Abel. The fundraiser is intended to “raise money through individual schools for donations to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to help find a cure for not only blood cancer, but also other cancers as well,” said Abel. The fundraiser has been held at McIntosh in prior years, but raised more money than ever before this year. Pennies for Patients exceeded the original goal of $1500, ultimately raising more than $1800. “I think we’ve all had loved ones or individuals we’ve known who have been touched by cancer, and I think it’s important that we try to unify, at least monetarily if not in other ways, and try to defeat this disease,” said Abel. He plans to continue implementing the fundraiser each year at McIntosh. “[Cancer] is so horrific in its results and it’s so dangerous to individuals,” said Abel, “I just wanted to do my small part in trying to cure cancer.”