Athena Manalo Running for Student Body President

Jordyn Mobley

One of many campaign posters that candidate, Athena Manalo, has hung around campus in support of her campaign.

Jordyn Mobley, Editor in Chief/A&E Editor

The 2021-2022 McIntosh student government election is creating quite the buzz around school. The candidates for student government are making a lot of noise when it comes to their campaigns. This year’s election is special because the student body president position has been contested for the first time in a couple years. Senior Athena Manalo is one of two candidates running for the position of student body president in student government along with fellow classmate, Orion Zimmerman. She believes that she is the best person to represent the student body and that she has all the necessary skills to be a great leader.

When it comes to experience in student government, Manalo has an advantage in that regard. “I was class president which is mainly in charge of grade level,” said Manalo. “I have helped plan homecoming and prom. I’ve helped come up with ideas for spirit weeks and campaigns around the school.”
Manalo is also a people person so she has no problem talking to new people and helping others. “I love to get to know new people and to help out anyone I can,” said Manalo as a part of her campaign on Instagram. “Reach out to me with any questions or just to chat!”

Manalo also added in her campaign that she is a responsible student who is at the top of her class, so she is definitely a reliable and trustworthy person that the student body can be confident in being their president.
The student body president is responsible for organizing campaigns to help better the overall environment of the school as well as overseeing the planning of events such as homecoming and prom among other things as well.

I think Orion has the theatrics, but Athena has been doing it for years and I already trust her, so I’m voting for Athena for sure.

— Tobi Makinde

Freshman Ava Cook was unsure who she would cast her vote for. “I am not sure who I will vote for yet, but I am definitely voting for Hannah Coleman for vice president.”
The elections have already begun to take place and will continue through Friday, Aug. 20. You can cast your votes through Schoology or through Infinite Campus.