Senior Huck McCollum Officially Becomes A Mountain Lion

Senior+Huck+McCollum+with+his+parents+in+the+auditorium+on+signing+day%2C+on+Thursday%2C+November+15.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Huck McCollum with his parents in the auditorium on signing day, on Thursday, November 15.

Shanon Woolf

Shanon Woolf

Shanon Woolf

Kamryn Torr, Editor In Chief

Before school on Thursday, November 15, senior Huck McCollum officially signed to continue his academic and lacrosse career at Young Harris College. “The reaction I had (after receiving an offer from Young Harris) was none-the-less of pure joy, like a kid on Christmas waking up to see if Santa came. It honestly did not seem real,” said McCollum.

His lacrosse days began at McIntosh High School the summer before third grade when he attended a camp. After that camp, he “fell in love with (lacrosse)”.

McCollum has played lacrosse for the Chiefs since his freshman year: two years on the junior varsity team with an occasional pull-up for varsity games and two years on the varsity team.

His dream of playing in college began when he was in fifth grade. McCollum was attending a college championship lacrosse game at Kennesaw State University when he realized that he wanted to play at the college level.

“I also had a little motivation when a coach told my parents that I would never play college ball,” said McCollum. 

I also had a little motivation when a coach told my parents that I would never play college ball”

— Huck McCollum

Young Harris College is located in Young Harris, Georgia, around 130 miles away. When it comes to the coaching staff, McCollum already feels at home with the team.

“The coaching staff is fantastic for getting back to me with any questions I had and the team could not have been more supportive,” McCollum said, “They have made me feel like family.”

Aside from the lacrosse aspect of Young Harris, McCollum said, “Young Harris is just a beautiful place. The people are spectacular and the dorms are grade A perfection.”

McCollum is most looking forward to playing his part on the team in order to succeed in a goal the whole team is going to have.

“I want to be able to do my part and win the boys on the team a Great Lakes Valley Conference Championship,” said McCollum. 

“I want to be able to do my part and win the boys on the team a Great Lakes Valley Conference Championship!””

— Huck McCollum

About the Writer
Kamryn Torr, Editor In Chief

Senior Kamryn Torr has been a part of the Trail staff for 4 years. After being a staff writer her freshman year and sports editor her sophomore year, this...

• Senior Huck McCollum Officially Becomes A Mountain Lion

News

MHS Construction Updates: Holiday Hoorah

Opinion

OPINION: The issue with old tweets

News

Swim Team Splashes into the Christmas Spirit

• News

MHS Students React to 4.4 Magnitude Earthquake

• Opinion

OPINION Muh’s News: Acosta’s Press Pass Should Never Have Been Revoked

A&E

One Act, Many Important Messages

Opinion

OPINION: All they want for Christmas is asylum

Football

Torr Time: Extending The College Football Playoffs

• Sports

The Only Girl on the Wrestling Team: Jocelyn Wang

Features

Finals Week Survival Guide