Four-Year Varsity Letterman Commits to The University of Alabama

Chris Dunn, used with permission

Kamryn Torr, Editor In Chief

Almost 18 years ago, senior Andrew “AP” Pinckney, was born in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. His family later moved to a small town in Georgia called Peachtree City where he would soon find a passion for baseball. After 14 years of playing, Pinckney officially committed to playing baseball back in his hometown in Tuscaloosa, Alabama for the University of Alabama Crimson Tide.

After lettering his first three years with the varsity baseball and basketball teams, Pinckney made an executive decision following his junior basketball season to forgo playing basketball his senior year to focus on baseball.

“AP is really fun to play with,” teammate and senior Ryan Sanders said. “He works really hard whether it’s with his dad over the weekends trying to get better and it shows on the field. Can’t wait for senior year with him and the rest of the team.”

Any athlete that has to go through the commitment process knows that it isn’t easy and how stressful it can be. For Pinckney, the recruiting process was frustrating because while schools appeared interested in him, no progress was made until this past summer when things decided to turn in his direction.

For as long as he can remember, Pinckney has always wanted to find a way to attend his hometown university. Born and raised in Tuscaloosa, he’s always been a fan of The University of Alabama and being able to go back to his roots is a dream come true for him.

“Humbling,” Pinckney said, “To be able to go home and play for the team I grew up loving is a complete honor.”

Aside from the University of Alabama, Pinckney also visited Kennesaw State University. Although he was born in Tuscaloosa and was familiar with the city and campus, after his first official visit with Alabama when he toured their baseball facilities and commodities, he knew that was where he wanted to go.

“The resources that Alabama has are like no other,” Pinckney said, “It is the perfect situation for me to get better, refine my game… and hopefully make it to the league. ”

Hitting is an area that Pinckney wants to improve in most with attending Alabama.

“I want to put fear into the hearts of every pitcher I face,” Pinckney said.

Pinckney knew when he was a little kid watching the College World Series that he wanted to play baseball in college. When it comes to long-term goals though, Pinckney hopes to make it to the MLB. He loves competing and playing baseball allows for him to be competitive, but at the end of the day, Pinckney wants to have a good, long career and play for as long as he can.

In the meantime,  “Roll Tide,” said Pinckney.