• April 224/25 Track and Field: Region 2-5A Championship @ 9:00 am
  • April 224/22-24 Boys Tennis: State Tournament
  • April 224/25-27 Spring Gala

Support Us
$250
$500

Filmmakers deny books justice

Recently, many books are becoming the basis for movies. Books, such as “Harry Potter,” “The Lord of the Rings,” “The Hunger Games” and “Twilight” brought in much revenue for their respected production agencies through their movies renditions. Not to mention how many fans, and therefore profit, were brought in through the movies.

However, the movies, if you compare them to the books, are missing plot-points, characters and sometimes crucial details. An example of the movie becoming much different from the book would be “Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief.” Those of who read “The Lightning Thief,” myself included, can say that while the movie itself was spectacular, it was practically nothing like the book. The producers changed the setting, character actions, and the plot itself. The movie was amazing, and the plot was great, as well, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth. From the title screen, I expected a similar plot to the movie. The same fights: the same plot-twists, and  the same characters that I know and love. What I got though, was a movie that really didn’t match the book.

So, where do you draw the line? The only idea that movie producers take from the book is the plot, I don’t think it should have the name of the as a title. Plot is not the thing that makes a book a book. The characters, the actions, the description are what make the plot, and by extension the book, come alive.

I understand that the producers can not make an exact replica on-screen, and they can never please everybody, but if they are going to take the name of a book and put it on the title screen of a movie, the least they can do is give the author and the book the justice that they deserve. The producers should take into consideration the ideas and details that have already been written before putting it on the big screen.

$250
$500