Graphic design created in Canva by Adwa Umoya
Adwa Umoya

H@shtags: everything in social media

Trending topics of the week and what to keep your eye on

My hottake on this week’s hashtags? People need to stop jumping to the conclusions and making things bigger than they are. A photoshop scandal? People were really invested enough to pick apart a woman’s family photo to find any imperfection for what. It’s never that serious and now very serious news has come out regarding her health and the people that found  it so ‘embarrassing’ that she was caught photoshopping need to find their decorum. Like that was such a Oh! That’s not- moment. 

What’s been in the forefront this week is the release of the ‘Quiet On Set’ documentary about the dark side of Nickelodeon child actors which was a really hard watch. I remember wanting to be a child actor so bad on those networks and was jealous that these kids got to act all day. But now knowing what these children endured and the mistreatment from executives they received makes watching those shows feel bittersweet. I’m really glad that the victims were able to come forward to tell their stories. We love breaking the cycle. 

That trend that’s like R.I.P (character name) you would’ve loved ( a modern thing) is so real because I’ll think about how Phineas and Ferb would’ve loved space tourism. Or how Blair Waldorf would’ve loved the old money aesthetic on Pinterest. Speaking of aesthetics, I’m so here for people kinda bringing back the 2014/2016 tumblr vibe. It was such an unproblematic time for social media and people just posted whatever they wanted.

Now follow this: My favourite creator of the week is @DexterCarr. He is a choreographer based out of LA who made the viral west side x long way to go dance. I’ve been watching him for years and he’s always been such an amazing dancer. 

$350
$500

Adwa Umoya
Adwa Umoya, Social Media Manager
Adwa Umoya is a senior and in her second year as McIntosh Trail’s social media manager. Umoya is a fashion and beauty enthusiast who interned at Sephora during her time living in New York. Born to a Trinidadian mother and a Nigerian father, Umoya has traveled to both countries numerous times and enjoys relishing in her culture. She is also a former member of X-Step, a young stepping program for young women who attended Excellence Girls and performed at the Cares Gala in 2020. In the past, she has also taken AP Biology and is currently a member of McIntosh’s Black Student Union. In her downtime, Umoya loves spending time with her family and friends, eating and obsessing over the color pink.
$350
$500