Graphic design created in Canva by Adwa Umoya
Adwa Umoya

Hashtags: everything in social media

Trending topics of the week and what to keep your eye on
Social Media Editor Adwa Umoya

My hottake on this week’s hashtags? As it’s Coachella season, I’ll say that I am actually happy with *some* of these fits and the performances. Ice Spice really surprised me because I knew that the crowd would be hype for her but I wasn’t expecting the energy from her. Stop playin’ wit’ ‘em Isis. Sabrina Carpenter ate down but I knew she would especially following the release of her single ‘Espresso’ last Friday. The people’s pop-star princess. Other stars on the stage include a performance from Tyler the Creator and Kali Uchis, whom I cried seeing walk on stage and she was only there for like five seconds. I guess that’s the Kuchis effect. 

More tears were let out by me this weekend because of the passing of Italian fashion designer Roberto Cavalli. He was such an icon and his designs embodied having a loud, maximalist spirit through bold prints and fabric varieties. Having celebrities like Priscilla Presley, the Spice Girls, Zendaya and Beyonce wear and stunt in his designs shows his impact on the fashion community and how he shaped an era. I always aspired to buy a custom dress of his in the future like ugh but best believe I’m still gonna be copping one of his pieces.  

Now this is something that only real ones know about right now. But Ms. Jatavia ‘JT’ Johnson, rapper who is also a part of the duo “City Girls,” is on her grind right now and she deserves a shoutout. She’s been on a 14-show tour ranging from Miami to Houston and more and she’s building a really good fan base. Her concerts are very 2000’s in the sense that she’s connecting with her audience better because her concerts are “smaller.” I’ve always loved Miami rap since Trina and Trick really put Miami on the map for music and I feel that she is definitely making a name for herself outside of ‘City Girls’. 

Now follow this: My favorite creator of the week is @thuy. She is a singer who famously made the song “Girls Like Me Don’t Cry” that went viral on TikTok. She made history this past weekend being the first Vietnamese-American artist to perform at Coachella. Queen.