Track team watches “McFarland, USA”

The+MHS+track+team+watched+the+cross+country+movie+McFarland%2C+USA+last+Tuesday%2C+March+3.+The+social+event+served+to+get+athletes+inspired+for+the+upcoming+season+as+well+as+bring+the+team+together+casually+outside+competition.+

Photo by Coach Jason Newton

The MHS track team watched the cross country movie “McFarland, USA” last Tuesday, March 3. The social event served to get athletes inspired for the upcoming season as well as bring the team together casually outside competition.

Tarna Zander-Velloso, Editor-in-Chief

The McIntosh track team watched “McFarland, USA” at NCG Cinemas this past Tuesday, March 3.The team picked that date because of the discounted Tuesday prices at NCG: $6 tickets and $2 small popcorn bags. The social event was a way to relax after practice, bond with teammates and get inspired for the new season.

“McFarland, USA” recounts the real story of a Latino cross country team in the town of McFarland, California. The movie, based on a true story, describes how the unlikely public high school team led by coach Jim White won the 1987 California state meet in a sport traditionally dominated by selective university preparatory schools. They ended up winning nine state titles in the next 14 years.

The movie can appeal to both runners and non-runners with its themes of value in work, perseverance through hardship, team spirit and the power of sports. The breathtaking shots of various California scenery also make the movie special with its depiction of mountainous cross country courses, sunny beaches and endless agricultural fields.

Senior track captain Johnny Vargas said, “I liked how they made a movie about running that wasn’t boring, so that’s an accomplishment.” “McFarland, USA” stands out from some other running movies by digging deeper into issues faced by the runners, their coach, their families and the whole community in their journey to the state meet. Humor and drama also add excitement to the story.

Freshman McKay Moore said, “It was a very inspirational story presented well enough to keep your attention.” The journey of the seven runners was indeed inspiring as the film relayed both their individual and team struggles. As teenagers, they balanced agricultural work early in the morning, school throughout the day and long workouts in the afternoon. As a team, they supported each other both on and off the cross country scene with issues such as race relations, domestic violence and personal failure.

Junior Nicole Zaubi said, “It was a predictable movie, but good overall.” Everyone expects that the team wins at the end, but the emotional developmental over the entire movie can take viewers by surprise. A well-planned blend of humor, seriousness, fact and story come together to make “McFarland, USA” a sports film well worth a view.