Support Us
$350
$500

McIntosh students meet country sensation, Taylor Swift

Juniors Avya Bhargave and Julia Roberts attended Taylor Swift’s Red Tour in Columbia, South Carolina at the Colonial Life Arena on March 23, 2013.

After driving for approximately four hours, Avya and Julia arrived and listened to opening acts Ed Sheeran and Brett Eldredge. Despite receiving an email that stated over-the-top costumes were not allowed, both girls donned lit-up tutus and wings and covered themselves in red glow sticks in the hopes of getting chosen for Club Red, which is an opportunity for fans to meet Taylor Swift after the show.

Avya said, “Everyone in the stadium was lit up in costumes and while different looking, everyone has the same goal: be selected for Club Red.”

“All we knew,” added Avya, “was that Julia and I needed to stand out.”

Julia said, “Our seats were located on the floor in front of the sound booth, so we needed our backs to light up to attract attention. That’s where our wings came in. The lights on both the tutus and wings helped to differentiate us from the crowd.”

Julia continued, “We were chosen for Club Red literally within 40 seconds of Taylor coming on stage.” During her first song “Speak Now,” a member of Taylor’s team approached Avya and Julia, asking them if they had ever met Taylor Swift. “They gave us passes to go backstage to Club Red after the show to hang out with Taylor, her parents, and her band. They chose 25 people out of like 18,000,” she added.

Constructed under the stage, Club Red is a room stocked with candy, a photo booth, drinks, and pizza. The room is decorated with personal touches by Taylor and photographs to give the room an intimate feel. Taylor’s band, dancers, and parents greet those selected.

Although you can only take one picture and have Taylor sign one object, both Avya and Julia agree that the night was amazing. Julia said, “Taylor was so genuine, so sweet and her parents were so cute. And to make the night even better, they shot a video of all of us for an ACM promo.”

While Avya claimed she was slightly star struck, Julia was surprisingly calm. She said, “I thought I’d be nervous, but she was so sweet, and it is impossible to be nervous around her.”

Julia remarked, “While we went all out for our costumes, we were chosen because of our enthusiasm. We did not stop dancing the entire night.”

Overall, Avya said, “Words and pictures fail to capture how incredible the moment was. Meeting Taylor Swift is every girl’s dream, and we are so fortunate to have been given the opportunity.”

$350
$500