• April 295/2 SENIORS: cap and gown, honor cord and tassel pick up @ lunch
  • April 295/4 Track and Field: 5A Sectional Championship
  • April 294/29-30 Girls Tennis: State Tournament
  • April 295/1-6 Girls Tennis: State Tournament
  • April 295/1-6 Boys Tennis: State Tournament
  • April 294/29-30 Boys Tennis: State Tournament

Support Us
$350
$500

Singing nuns captivate MHS

Junior Marguerite Murrell embraces her inner star as Sister Robert Anne

McIntosh’s resident dancing nuns

Drama teacher Mr. Ken Buswell is new to MHS. This fall, he set out to bring the convent to Peachtree City with “Nunsense.” Mr. Buswell said, “It’s a ridiculous setup,” which may be exactly why it works.

“Nunsense” is essentially a lesser known, more comedic musical featuring singing nuns. The story starts off when Sister Julia’s killer soup recipe sends 52 sisters home to their Maker. Because nuns take a vow of poverty, they soon find out that they are unable to afford the cost of burying all 52 nuns. They somehow manage to lay 48 of their deceased sisters to rest, stuffing the other four in the freezer. The health inspector finds out, so to raise the money, the quirky group puts on a variety show in the auditorium of Mount St. Helen’s School. The relatively small cast and crew of McIntosh’s version came up with most of the material themselves. Mr. Buswell said, “The show is just about having students get up on stage and show off their talents […] we’ve got such a talented cast. They’ve done a lot of the work themselves. They came up with all the choreography.”

The nuns themselves are an odd bunch. Their cell phones go off, filling the auditorium with Beyonce’s “Single Ladies.” They make references to Kanye West’s infamous outburst, idolize Dolly Parton and wear pink feather boas. And what nun-based musical could be complete without religion? The show is full of tongue-in-cheek quips about their beloved Catholic Church: a recipe for “Mary Magdalene Tarts,” Sister Mary Amnesia who lost her memory in an accident involving a crucifix, and a life-sized cut-out of Pope Benedict XVI. The comediennes may appear a little nutty and un-nun-like, but that’s not to say that they are not to be taken seriously; these girls can sing.

Playing the devout Reverend Mother is senior Leah Larson. Senior McKenna Ceci is Sister Mary Hubert, the Mistress of Novices; junior Marguerite Murrell is a street-smart nun from “the hood” as Sister Robert Anne. The aspiring ballerina, Sister Mary Leo is played by freshman Mikeila McQueston and the aforementioned Sister Mary Amnesia and Sister Julia are played by sophomore Hannah Romine and junior Katie MacKeil. The lovably quirky ensemble of sisters consists of juniors Yasmeen Griffin, Theresa Jones, and Kelly McCarty; sophomore Kaylee Lloyd; and freshmen Maddie Corley and Amelia Traylor. Not to be forgotten is the one male cast member, senior Daniel Griffin as Brother Virgil.

Unfortunately, if you haven’t seen it yet you’ve missed your chance. “Nunsense” showcased in the MHS auditorium on November 29 and December 1-2.

$350
$500