Savannah: Holi-…wait till after giving thanks

Nov 18, 2022

Christmas music is great, but Thanksgiving is still a good holiday as well. As Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday I feel like it is overlooked by the presence of Christmas themed items in November. However; I also fall into the trap of listening to Christmas music not only in November, but months past December.

My friends often start playing Christmas music early in the year and I don’t exactly mind, because I enjoy Christmas music all the time. Plus, being in the MHS concert band we start learning Christmas music sometime even before Halloween. This is not really because we love Christmas music, it is more so since we have to start learning music early for our Christmas concert that often happens before Christmas break.

The concept of decorating your house with Christmas decorations and setting up your Christmas tree seems like a way of not appreciating Thanksgiving. When I drive past houses with tons of Christmas decorations the day after Halloween I often wonder why they do not wait a little longer before they dive straight into Christmas. To put it into perspective it’s like putting up spooky Halloween decorations before the fourth of July.

Not only the concept of people decorating for Christmas super early, but also stores starting to sell Christmas candy and decorations right after Halloween. I understand that Thanksgiving is not really a holiday that people decorate for, but stores also overlook it wanting to start the Christmas spike in prices as soon as the Halloween decorations can go on sale. With this I feel like stores make it easier for people to jump straight into winter decorations and celebrations avoiding autumn festivities.

It is okay to listen to Christmas music and enjoy Christmas inspired drinks in the fall, but sometimes people take it too far overlooking Thanksgiving by starting to decorate their house for Christmas in November.

$250
$500

About the Writer
Photo of Savannah Hayes
Savannah Hayes, News Editor

McIntosh High School senior Savannah Hayes is serving her second year as the McIntosh Trail’s news editor. Hayes has been on the Trail staff since 2021...

$250
$500