Three notes from Friday’s game against Mundy’s Mill

Jackson Stone, Staff Writer

On Friday, Aug. 23, the McIntosh Chiefs took on the Mundy’s Mill Tigers at home in what was the first game of the 2019 football season. After a back-and-forth game throughout the first half, the Tigers eventually pulled away in the second half and won by a final score of 40-7. Here are three notes from the contest.

1. School spirit in full force

McIntosh students turned out in great numbers on Friday night wearing Hawaiian shirts for the game’s Hawaiian theme. The student section was loud all night, even when the game was no longer close, and the energy could certainly be felt throughout the stadium.

1. Chiefs unable to keep up

Mundy’s Mill got out of the gates quickly, building up a 19-0 lead in the first half. Still, the Chiefs struck back with a touchdown before halftime and had momentum as they received the second half kickoff. However, they were not able to put together any sustainable drives and Mundy’s Mill eventually pulled away to win in blowout fashion.

1. Chief injured

Late in the game, a scary moment occurred when Chiefs’ junior Ryan Foncannon went down with an injury and had to be taken by an ambulance. Foncannon is currently in the hospital nursing multiple injuries. We wish him a healthy and speedy recovery.

The Chiefs will take the field at home again this Friday against the Riverwood Raiders.