Varsity Chiefs Lose Season Opener Against Mundy’s Mill


Kamryn Torr

Senior quarterback Dane Kinamon on the field in pain after a hard hit from the Mundy’s Mill defense.

Kamryn Torr, Editor In Chief

After months of summer workouts and practicing, the high school football season finally kicked off for the Chiefs on Friday, August 17 when they traveled to Lovejoy High School to take on the Mundy’s Mill Tigers.

The captains for the game against Mundy’s Mill were seniors Ryan Cate, Ryan Siegel, Ryan Sanders, and Dane Kinamon.

“They had a lot of really talented players, but overall we were the ones that beat ourselves,” Sanders said. “Turnovers and penalties cost us the game. We played hard though and look to play even better against Riverwood on Friday.”

The Chiefs started with the ball to start the game and the drive ended with senior captain quarterback, Dane Kinamon, running the ball into the end zone for a touchdown. This quarterback sneak gave the Chiefs the early lead in the game, 6-0, after a missed extra point.

Mundy’s Mill got the ball back and scored the following drive giving them the 7-6 lead with 5:31 to go in the first quarter.

Kinamon and the offense responded with a run by junior Jaylen Smith and a reception by junior Andrew Villiger to put the Chiefs in the redzone. After a hand-off from Kinamon to Cate, the Chiefs were back on top 12-7 with 2:20 left in the first quarter.

Following the kickoff from senior Baba Agbaje, the Tigers ran the kickoff back for a touchdown. Chiefs ended up trailing 14-12 at the end of the first quarter.

Before halftime, Mundy’s Mill scored again to give them a 20-12 lead at the end of the first half.

The Chiefs kicked off to the Tigers to start the second half. Mundy’s Mill ran its second kickoff return of the night to start the second half. Leaving the Chiefs trailing behind 26-12.

After the Chiefs offense went three and out, Mundy’s Mill’s offense got the ball back and executed giving them another touchdown with 7:02 left in the third quarter. Chiefs trailed 32-12.

The offense for the Chiefs got the ball and shortly after, Smith fumbled for the Chiefs giving Mundy’s Mill the ball back near the Chiefs 40 yard line with 6:30 left in the third quarter.

About three minutes went by for the McIntosh defense until there was a fumble by the Mundy’s Mill running back. Senior captain Ryan Sanders recovered the fumble for the Chiefs to give them the ball back.

Along with the fumble recovery, Sanders also had 10 solo tackles and seven assisted tackles in Friday’s game.

The Chiefs entered the fourth quarter trailing Mundy’s Mill 32-12.

Kinamon, hit hard several times throughout the game, left the field early in the fourth quarter. He was treated on the sidelines by an athletic trainer who wrapped Kinamon’s shoulder with ice. Kinamon didn’t return to the game. 

“We started off good, but then we hurt ourselves with turnovers and other mistakes that will get fixed as we play more games,” Kinamon said.

Junior Burton Hahn went in after Kinamon was taken out. The Chiefs had a fourth and goal with a few minutes left in the game. Hahn threw to freshman tight end Reitter Bowers for the last score of the game.

The Chiefs second game of the season will be on Friday, August 24 at Riverwood High School where the Chiefs will take on the Raiders.