Varsity Football Attends Fayette County Football Media Day

Seniors Ryan Siegel {left}, Ryan Cate {middle}, and Dane Kinamon {right} following the first media day.

Kamryn Torr

Fayette County High School hosted the first Fayette County Football Media Day. McIntosh, Fayette County, Our Lady of Mercy, Sandy Creek, Starr’s Mill, and Whitewater all attended. Media Day began at 10 and lasted until around noon on Saturday, August 4.

Coach Booker of Fayette County High School began the Media Day acknowledging how college football has Media Day before the season starts, so he felt that having a laid back Media Day with every team would be a good way to start the football season off. Each football team was given 15-20 minutes with the Media for a Q and A session.

McIntosh’s Coach Belknap and three senior players including Dane Kinamon, Ryan Cate, and Ryan Siegel were the first team up at the interview table with the Media.

When asked about the team as a whole, Coach Belknap said, “They have a similar feel to last year, very tight group. They care about each other and I think they are going to get the job done.”

With the mention of losing some players who graduated in May, Coach Belknap replied, “As a coach the ride is always bittersweet. The seniors leave and the team leaves, but as a coach, we always set goals and expectations for the team. We talk about the goals early and often, we let the seniors know that they are the team. Hopefully, the wins and losses and goals take care of themselves.”

Cate, who will be playing as a running back and wide receiver, said, “I definitely try to take a leadership role as a receiver and running back because as a senior, we have to step up for the team.”  

Siegel, who will be playing both offense and defense this season, said, “I’m just trying to contribute to the team as much as possible.”

Kinamon, who will be starting at quarterback for the second consecutive season for the Chiefs, committed to play football at the Air Force Academy earlier this year.  “My brother and my dad went there so it’s somewhere I’ve wanted to go for a long time,” he said.

Cate, Siegel, and Kinamon are all going to have a big impact on McIntosh’s success this upcoming season. The team kicked off the season with a scrimmage at Pike County on August 9th. The regular season will begin for the Chiefs on August 17th when they travel to Mundy’s Mill to take on the Tigers.

About the Contributors
Kamryn Torr, Editor In Chief

Senior Kamryn Torr has been a part of the Trail staff for 4 years. After being a staff writer her freshman year and sports editor her sophomore year, this will be Kamryn’s second year as Editor in Chief for the Trail. Aside from her interest in journalism, Kamryn loves sports. Her passion for sports includes soccer and football. She began playing soccer when she was three years old, but the week before her junior year started, she suffered her third concussion in less than two years and will no longer be playing soccer. Kamryn loves college football, especially Penn State. She is a diehard Penn State fan because both of her parents attended college there. She combines her journalism capabilities and her love for sports into sports writing; Kamryn is often live Tweeting MHS sporting events. 

Samantha Cornett, Sports Editor

Junior Sam Cornett joined the newspaper staff her freshman year and has been sports editor for two years. Between being an editor for the Trail, Sam works at Chick-fil-a and Justice, as well as being a writer for the magazine Lake Kedron Living in Peachtree City. She is a member of the National Spanish Honor Society, the National Society of High School Scholars, and also has spent the last two years playing as a Lady Chief for the soccer team.