Softball team starts off season in Hampton

Coach+Anderson+talks+to+the+team+after+a+tough+first+loss+in+the+new+season.+

Paige Muh

Coach Anderson talks to the team after a tough first loss in the new season.

Samantha Cornett, Editor in Chief

Paige Muh
Lady Chiefs take the pitch for the first time in the new 2018 season.

The varsity softball team started off their season traveling to Hampton High School on August 6.

The game was at a slow start until the first runs by McIntosh were made during the third inning. Sophomore Rebecca Muh hit a single at the top of the fourth inning, followed by a double from sophomore Ashlyn Gaines and a single by senior Cassidee Rotolo. Muh ran first making the score 1 to 0, followed by a walk from junior Emma Dunlap. Gaines came back to score on a pass ball to make the score 2 to 0, and then a run from Rotolo made the score 3 to 0 at the bottom of the third inning.

Hampton came back, scoring 3 runs at the bottom of the 7th to take the game into extra innings tied at 3 to 3. Hampton took the win over the Lady Chiefs 4 to 3 on a walk-off in the bottom of the 9th inning.

Muh pitched all 9 innings and had 14 strikeouts and allowed 4 runs off of 5 hits. “It was a great opening game,” Muh said. “We played really well, but unfortunately, we came up short in extra innings. It was still a hard-fought game, though.”

The team played their first home game August 7, with a win against Riverdale, 23-0. After a large victory against Riverdale, the team traveled to Whitewater to take on the Wildcats on Thursday and lost 9-1. The Chiefs will take on Starr’s Mill at home on Tuesday, August 14 at 7 p.m.