Athlete of the Week: Jake Donaldson

Jake+Donaldson+taking+a+free+kick+during+one+of+the+home+games+last+year.+

Hannah Swenson

Jake Donaldson taking a free kick during one of the home games last year.

Kamryn Torr, Editor In Chief

Senior captain for the Chiefs soccer team and last years Gatorade Player of the Year, Jake Donaldson, was awarded with Athlete of the Week for the week of February 28 by the Chiefs’ soccer coach, Bunky Colvin.

Donaldson said, “I was excited when I found out I was Athlete of the Week. I like having my name on the little board.”

Donaldson has played soccer for about 14 years. He has played for the Chiefs soccer team since his freshman year. Donaldson was on JV his freshman year, but got pulled up to varsity halfway through the season and has been on varsity ever since. Each week, Donaldson estimates that he spends approximately 15 hours playing soccer, but he also said it depends on how Coach Bunky is feeling.

Donaldson’s most memorable soccer moment happened last year when they won state.

When it comes to this year’s team, Donaldson enjoys the enduring potential of the team. Donaldson said, “The McIntosh team this year has a lot of potential to be one of the greats. We just need to pick up our speed a little bit and once we get some momentum, I don’t think anyone can stop us.”

This season, Donaldson hopes to continue developing his leadership skills and get stronger.

Since Donaldson is a senior, this will be his fourth and final year playing for the Chiefs with a group of guys that have become his close friends.

He said, “McIntosh soccer has given me friends and memories that are going to stick with me forever. I hope this year that the seniors can leave a legacy with back to back state championships.”

Donaldson is going to be continuing his soccer career at the University of Dayton in Dayton, Ohio.

Donaldson said, “Strangely, I am excited to be back on the bottom of the food chain and have the chance to earn some play time. It’s really satisfying when you work really hard for something and have it pay off.”

So far, the Chiefs have an 8-1 record on the season, their only loss being against Dalton.

The next soccer game is tomorrow, Friday, March 8 at home against Clarkston. Jake Donaldson and the Chiefs will kick-off at 6:00 pm.

Athlete of the Week awards are given out weekly at the school. Athletes are selected based on their performance during the season.