Athlete of the Week: Emma Whitson

Some of the senior Lady Chiefs, including Athlete of the Week Emma Whitson (right), on the day of team pictures.

Kamryn Torr, Editor In Chief

Senior captain for the Lady Chiefs soccer team, Emma Whitson, was awarded with Athlete of the Week for the week of January 22 by the girls’ soccer coach, Marcia Clark.

Whitson said, “I was relieved when I found out I was Athlete of the Week because I thought I was in trouble when they called me to the front office.”

Whitson has played soccer for 14 years. She has played for the Lady Chiefs soccer team all four years in high school, and three-and-a-half of those on varsity. Each week, Whitson estimates that she spends approximately 10-15 hours each week playing soccer.

Whitson’s most memorable soccer moment has actually happened twice, in two seasons back-to-back.

Whitson said, “The most memorable thing has to be the feeling of winning state 2 years in a row and winning it with the guys the second year.”

The Lady Chiefs beat Columbus 4-0 in the state finals Whitson’s sophomore year, then they went on to beat Buford in the state championship 2-0 last year, her junior year. Last year was a special year, though, because the varsity boys also won state after defeating Clarkston 2-1.

When it comes to this year’s team, Whitson enjoys the team as a whole. Whitson said, “The McIntosh team this year is very fun and motivated to be the best that we can be.”

Soccer has been a big part of Whitson’s life for 14 years. Soccer has helped Whitson forget about finding the easy way out of situations.

Whitson said, “Soccer has helped me into a leader. Also, the sport has made me feel very passionate about working hard to get results instead of finding shortcuts and going the easy route.”

By the end of the season, Whitson hopes to improve on her communication and being a problem solver on and off the field.

A successful season for Whitson is not necessarily winning state.

Whitson said, “A successful season would be a team that has grown together through good and bad times, that sticks together no matter what. Success would be giving everything until the end (and the dream is another state championship win that results from all that).

Since Whitson is a senior, this will be her fourth and final year playing for the Lady Chiefs and with a group of girls that have become more than just her teammates, but some of her best friends.

She said, “I am super excited to be playing with such an awesome group of girls. Wrapping up my soccer career with some girls that I’ve been playing with for 8 years is so surreal, but I could not be more thrilled.”

The soccer season will start on Friday, February 2 at home as they host Walton High School for their annual pre-season scrimmage. Lady Chiefs will kickoff at 6:00, followed by the Chiefs at 8:00.

Athlete of the Week awards are given out weekly at the school. Athletes are selected based on their performance during the season.