Senior Madi Immel named Student Athlete of the Week for Jan. 12, 2015

Senior Madi Immel helped cheer on the Chiefs football team this fall and is helping cheer for the basketball teams this winter.

Carmen Yarbrough

Julianna Kearney, Sports Editor

McIntosh senior Madi Immel has been dancing since she was 2, but this is her first year as a Chiefette. Before joining the dance team, Madi trained at a studio in Peachtree City. Madi said, “I was trained as a studio dancer at Georgia Academy of Dance and the Performing Arts and was part of Georgia Dance Theatre for four years and was a Senior Company member for two years.”

The Chiefettes practice multiple days a week, and balancing school work can be difficult in addition to the hours of practice. Madi said, “To balance my schedule, I try to stay organized and write down all of my assignments and if possible do them early. I feel that it is important to commit myself completely to dancing while at practice and to school work during the day and at home.”

Madi credits her grandmother with supporting her dance career the most. She said, “My Grammee has always inspired me to dance. She bought me my first pair of ballet shoes and hasn’t missed a performance since. I’ve also always had the support of my family.” She also says her coaches are a huge part of her dance career. Madi said, “My coaches remind me how much hard work can pay off. Also, they are so dedicated to the team, which I feel inspires all of us to push ourselves. I have also had several amazing teachers whose creativity and support always had a positive influence on me.”

This is Madi’s first year on the Chick-fil-a Chiefettes, and she said her favorite part of being on the team is the sense of family. Madi said, “I honestly enjoy every day of being on the team. All of the girls are like sisters, and it is so fun to dance with them. I’ve loved having all of the performance opportunities and getting to represent the school at football and basketball games. Also, competition weekends just have this great energy that doesn’t compare to anything else.” She said, “I love being a Chiefette.”

Madi hasn’t made a decision yet on college, but she is deciding among UGA, Clemson and Auburn. She said, “I’m interested in a liberal arts degree and possibly continuing to law school.” Her dream job, however, would be to be a dancer on Broadway, but she said for now, she is focusing on school. Then when she is older, she would like to live in Charleston in an old house on the water.