Winter break watchlist

Here’s the Trail’s recommendations for what to watch over the winter break
Canva graphic created by Anthony Capobianco

With winter break around the corner and the weather forecast looking gloomy for most of the upcoming break, the Trail has combined a list of favorite must watch movies to enjoy when it is raining, or sun shining.

“Lisa Frankenstein”

Anthony’s Thoughts: “Lisa Frankenstein” is such a good movie. It has the perfect blend of horror, comedy, romance and camp. “Lisa Frankenstein” is a horror rom-com about a teenage girl who resurrects a victorian-era corpse and uses other people’s body parts to replace his missing ones. It sounds crazy and gruesome but I swear it’s not. Somehow, this film is extremely funny and campy and truly really good. When I went with my friend we were laughing the whole time, so I recommend bringing somebody to laugh with since this is definitely that kind of movie. 

“Encanto”

Nyla’s Thoughts: “Encanto” is such a sweet and fun movie to cozy up with close ones and watch. I loved watching it with my parents and little siblings. “Encanto” is an animated movie following a teenage girl named Mirabel, who feels ordinary in a family of extraordinary people. I usually dislike movies with random cuts in the plot to incorporate singing, but the songs in “Encanto” are catchy and the lyrics are actually relevant to the story. I also loved how each character was explored even though Mirabel was one of the main characters. Overall, the movie was very cute and it was one of the best animated movies that I have seen in a while, so I definitely would recommend watching it. 

“13 Going on 30”

Lily’s Thoughts: “13 Going on 30” is a romance/comedy movie where a girl wishes to be 30 on her 13th birthday and wakes up being a 30-year-old fashion magazine editor for a big company. My mom and I would watch the movie on our “girls nights” and we would laugh and have so much while watching the movie. The movie can be very heart touching and can get emotional. It is somewhat of a roller coaster. I definitely recommend watching it, especially with a friend. 

“Love is Blind”

Adwa’s Thoughts: “Love Is Blind” has released its sixth season and I’m so excited to watch it. It’s a reality show about single adults trying to match and fall in love without having seen each other before. Last season was a train wreck and I have high hopes for the new one. So far, from the clips I’ve seen, it’s very drama-filled and the red flags are very much being waved. But love is blind, right?

“The Summer I Turned Pretty”

Ashley’s Thought’s: “The Summer I Turned Pretty” is a drama/romance show with two seasons. It is a good show for people who like the childhood friend trope. The main character, Belly, has had a crush on Conrad, one of her childhood best friends that she visits every summer. She visits again, but has a glow up and Conrad and his brother both start liking her and she has to pick which one she wants to end up with. This show is a roller coaster of emotions but is so worth watching. If you liked “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” you should give this show a try. 

Enjoy a nice winter break Chiefs!

$350
$500

Your donation supports the student journalists of McIntosh High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase photography equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Anthony Capobianco
Anthony Capobianco is a rookie to journalism but not to writing. Capobianco has written an entire novel that he’s planning to publish, two movies he hopes to finish in the future and is working on a new book with one of his best friends. Although he specializes in fiction, don’t doubt his nonfiction capabilities. Capobianco wants to pursue a career in writing and directing films. As mentioned, he has already written two. One was based on a book and one was made up from himself. Capobianco’s favorite hobbies are reading and writing. His favorite books are “One of Us Is Lying” and “Truly Devious.” His favorite genres are horror, realistic fiction, mystery and biographies. Capobianco wanted to do Journalism because he wanted to try out different writing and he thought it was very interesting. He thinks that writing based on people’s speech and just news all around is extremely needed because people have voices and need to be heard. Capobianco plans to utilize his experience in writing for journalism.
$350
$500