Surprise, Surprise: Alabama Finds a Way to Win the National Championship

Alabama celebrates its National Championship win against Georgia.

Kamryn Torr, Editor In Chief

If you watched the national championship game, then you would have seen the domination that Georgia had over Alabama. Well, the domination that they had over Alabama in the first half at least. The Georgia defense held Alabama to less than 100 total yards in the first half and the Georgia offense outscored the Crimson Tide 13-0 in the first half.

Georgia’s offense was having success with true freshman quarterback Jake Fromm. Considering the fact that Fromm is a true freshman, he played really well and was very poised in the way he played. Yes, Georgia did lose, but throughout the entire game, the commentators mentioned how Jake Fromm “was just in high school last year,” and added the detail that he “just went to Prom”; therefore, although Georgia lost, we need to keep in mind that they were led by a young quarterback. This clearly suggests Georgia will be back in the national championship while Fromm is still attending.

During the first half of the game, I personally wasn’t worried for Alabama because well, it’s Alabama. They always find a way to come back and win, especially in games such as the national championship, when the season’s hard work is on the line.

After halftime though, the Georgia Bulldogs fell apart and didn’t really have anything going for them offensively or defensively. Although the second half wasn’t necessarily perfect for Georgia, the refs missed some calls against the Crimson Tide’s defense, such as when they pushed Fromm after he was already down and the play was over, as well as a missed facemask call on one of the Georgia running backs. Although Jalen Hurts is very experienced player, he did not play well at all in the first half, so head coach Nick Saban took a chance on his true freshman quarterback, Tua Tagovailoa, at the beginning of the second half to replace sophomore starter Hurts.

For a true freshman, Tagovailoa played outstanding, especially since he was thrown into the game in the second half of the national championship game when they were down by 13. Yes, Hurts is also a very good quarterback, but if I were him, I would be concerned about the security of my starting position next fall.

Although the second half mainly went Alabama’s way, the one part of the game that hurt them in the end was their kicking game. Alabama had a chance to win the game with a few seconds left in regulation, but their kicker missed a 36 yard field goal attempt to send the game into overtime.

Alabama won the game on their second drive of overtime when it was 2nd and 26 following a quarterback sack by the Georgia defense. Like I said before, it’s Alabama. They pull out the big games, especially during a year following a close loss to Clemson last year in the national championship. 

As for Georgia, people may be disappointed and thinking “That was such a Georgia team thing to do”, but this was only the second year of Kirby Smart being with the Georgia Bulldogs, so for anyone that is a Georgia fan, don’t be too disappointed with the final of the game. There will be a lot of success for Georgia in the future, possibly even another national championship run in the next few years.

For more thoughts on the game, see our compilation of student opinions here.

About the Writer
Kamryn Torr, Editor In Chief

Senior Kamryn Torr has been a part of the Trail staff for 4 years. After being a staff writer her freshman year and sports editor her sophomore year, this...

• Sports

The Trail’s College Football Picks of the Week!

• Surprise, Surprise: Alabama Finds a Way to Win the National Championship

News

Controversy Builds Over Commemorations of the Centenary of World War I

Sports

Former Chief Jordan Lyons ties NCAA record

Lacrosse

Senior Huck McCollum Officially Becomes A Mountain Lion

A&E

In Memoriam: Stan Lee, the Marvelous Man Himself

Cross Country

Cross Country Team Competes in State Competition

• Sports

NBA Season Preview

Athlete of the Week

Athlete of the Week: Bruce Carpenter

Athlete of the Week

Athlete of the Week: Dominique Savain

Sports

The Trail’s College Football Picks of the Week