• April 295/2 SENIORS: cap and gown, honor cord and tassel pick up @ lunch
  • April 295/4 Track and Field: 5A Sectional Championship
  • April 294/29-30 Girls Tennis: State Tournament
  • April 295/1-6 Girls Tennis: State Tournament
  • April 295/1-6 Boys Tennis: State Tournament
  • April 294/29-30 Boys Tennis: State Tournament

Support Us
$350
$500

Where has music’s personality gone?

I like to think that I have a unique taste in music. My iPod has never seen the likes of artists on any recent top 10 lists. That is not my rebellion against the status quo; it just happens that the music of the mob is not my cup of tea.

Unfortunately, I am of a dying race in that aspect.

I have been told that I listen to “weird stuff” but I would argue that it’s vice versa. What is the real draw to the so-called-artists who have managed to worm their way into the precious realm of the music industry? Is it the mere fact that once a performer becomes famous, the quality of their output into society no longer matters, so long as they continue to top the charts? I don’t know, nor do I understand the mindset of those who enable these filler musicians on their paths to fame.

Of the art forms, music is the one that most influences the younger generation. That’s due to many things that I needn’t waste any time accrediting. Music is no longer an elite function, nor is all music musical. A good bit of what is played on the radio is just noise. Talent appears to no longer be a requisite of fame. But that is another tangent. My question is where oh where did the personality go? When did fitting in become an acceptable replacement for standing out?

I write this in hope that someone else has an answer, for I have none.

Right now, I am listening to iTunes’ preview of “Charles Aznavour: Platinum Collection.” It is beautiful French pop- not meaning the sugary sweet pop, but ironically, popular music. I may not understand a word of the poetic lyrics, but I have yet to find language to be a barrier between good music and my comprehension of its message. Each of the 60 tracks from the collection has a different flavor, yet is in sync with all the others. Despite all my reasons for loving it, I still stand alone: there is only one brief comment for the album. Once again, I’m obviously out of the loop.

To give an example of the imbalance, Taylor Swift’s single “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” has 577 comments, on one song. For the record, not all of the reviews are positive, which makes me wonder, why do these malcontents waste their time insulting Miss Swift; why not find good music for which they can write positive reviews instead? But that’s just my twisted logic, I guess.

Interesting songs do exist: songs that not only could very well define each of us in turn, but songs that could leave an inspirational legacy for our generation. But those songs are rarely featured under the heading “Top Singles.” To find an artist who speaks to you, you must journey past the advertised boy-bands and dance numbers; you must experiment with random genres-like French Pop, until you stumble on the one that makes you genuinely and unabashedly happy. Personality must be embraced and the mob-mindset must be now and forever more abolished. If we wish to differentiate humankind from our primate ancestors, we have no choice but to start finding who we are both as a species and as individuals.

Musical preference is a great starting point.

I may be the only high-schooler who listens to this, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad music.

View Comments (4)
$350
$500