• May 24The Trail has gone on hiatus for summer break and will return coverage at the end of July

Construction, again? Construction… but when?

Expected capital improvements for 2024-2025 school year
Layout+of+improvements+made+in+Canva+by+Luke+Soule.+
Luke Soule
Layout of improvements made in Canva by Luke Soule.

Capital improvement is a permanent alteration to addition to a property that increases its value or useability. In the summer of 2023, McIntosh started the latest in its capital improvements with  construction for the parking lot as more car spaces were needed, along with tennis courts and an auxiliary gym which would start construction in October.  

The construction on the tennis courts and auxiliary gym have yet to start. 

Athletic Director Leon Hammond was told specific dates for construction.

“October first initially[ for when the construction would start for tennis courts and the auxiliary gym]. [Then I was] told March 1, and the last thing I was told [by the company] was March 1 and [now construction begins] June 1. I don’t know what the holdup is, my assumption would be permits and in [comparison] to other schools [around McIntosh], McIntosh was the last to get approval [for capital improvements]  because we are building within a confined space [while] everybody else is building on existing land,” said Hammond.

According to the April 8, 2024 board meeting minutes, McIntosh will get the tennis courts along with a new auxiliary gym on campus.

On a phone call interview with Mike Satterfield, the facilities director of FBOE goes in depth about what to know about these improvements.

“[The purpose is] when you think about it, take basketball team, you got a ninth grade, varsity team and a JV team and that kind of overlaps with volleyball a little bit and overlaps with spring sports. We are building an auxiliary gym to all schools to give more practice space. The main gyms are plenty big enough for games, it’s more about practice so teams don’t have to go early in the morning or late at night. We are trying to create more space for practice and locker rooms. [The auxiliary gym will have a] full size basketball court, this is for a practice gym, [there won’t be] bleachers it’s not a competition, it’s for practice. No running tracks, you’ll just have the gym and some dressing rooms that will be on the top floor of the gym. There will be a hallway that will connect the gym to the hallway that’s out in front of the auditorium,” Satterfield said.

The weight room in the gym at McIntosh will also be upgraded.

“[A new] 4,000 square feet [weight room will be added] and it will have windows in it that will look out over the football stadium,” Satterfield said.

A very large weight room. The weight room is about 4,000 square feet and it will have windows in it that will look out over the football stadium

— Mike Satterfield

There has been confusion about where the tennis courts will be going.

“The tennis courts will be built on the existing baseball field, and then we will also be building new concession stands one of the home side and one of the visitors side. Eventually we will tear down the old concession stands, after the new ones are built,” Satterfield said.

Writer’s note: this is a continuing story that the Trail will follow after the summer hiatus. 

$350
$500

Luke Soule
Luke Soule, Multimedia Editor
Multimedia editor Luke Soule is a senior at McIntosh High School and has returned for his second year on the McIntosh Trail. Soule received an all-georgia and superior award during his first year on the staff as a writer and specializes in writing about film, music and environmental issues. He is also an editor for the Mischief Literary Magazine. Soule enjoys writing poetry and stories and has written multiple screenplays. Music and film are big parts of Soule’s life. He taught himself to play guitar and currently takes music theory and piano lessons. His favorite artists are Death Grips, Gregory Alan Isakov and Hugh Masekela. He also began writing screenplays at the age of 13. His favorite movies are The Master, Swiss Army Man and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. He frequently volunteers at the Fayette Humane Society and Clothes Less Traveled.
$350
$500