Juuling: What’s the Buzz?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Juuling: What’s the Buzz?

Juuls: the popular device sweeping high schools nationwide.

Getty Images

Getty Images

Getty Images

Over the past few months, the nation has seen an alarming increase in the use of electronic cigarettes amongst our youth. Juuls are the trendy vapes that resemble flash drives and can be conveniently charged in laptop USB ports.

Juuls have sleek designs and sweet flavors that are enticing to high school and even middle school students. While the product claims to be for those who are trying to quit smoking cigarettes and are over the age of 18, many minors have come to obtain their own.

A study from the American Academy of Pediatrics estimates that three million U.S. adolescents currently use Juuls or other vaping products. While this trend is relatively new and there aren’t many studies that have been conducted on the long-term health consequences of Juuling, it is known that each Juul pod contains as much nicotine as a whole pack of cigarettes.

However, the trend has received mixed responses from the student body. As the school year drags on, it is more and more common to witness fellow students vaping on campus. You can hardly use the bathroom without being welcomed by the pungent smell of burnt vape juice. While many students, of all backgrounds and cliques have welcomed the fad, others are in strong opposition.

One such student is junior Colby Heist. “E-cigs give teenagers a burst of nicotine reliably and effectively, causing them to feel good,” he said. “Over time, this feeling becomes normal and users rely on regular vaping breaks to feel normal. Teens who are addicted to e-cigarettes are negatively impacted because of the constant urge to vape once addicted. Their focus in school and sports may seriously decrease as they have to go to the bathroom or other private places several times a day in order to get their nicotine fix.”

Students, to satisfy their nicotine cravings, have become savvier in how they’re using products on campus. By learning a technique called “zeroing,” students can essentially conceal the vapor produced from their devices or by retreating to the bathrooms in between classes. School Resource Officer, Cpl. Judy, acknowledges, “They’re trying to do it in locations where students or teachers are not normally at. It’s successful sometimes because I can’t be everywhere in the school at once. However, a lot of times I know they are doing it, but I just don’t have the evidence to take it to the administration.”

The Juuling epidemic can be seen sweeping the nation like wildfire. Through raising awareness and taking a stand against vaping, our generation can minimize the number of youth that believes the product isn’t harming their bodies.

About the Writer
Arden Estep, Opinions Editor

Arden Estep is participating in journalism at McIntosh High School for her third year in a row. Last year, she enjoyed being the Opinions and Editorials...

• Juuling: What’s the Buzz?

News

MLK and His Impact Today

• News

Behind the Scenes: Making the Rachel’s Challenge Commerical

• News

Rachel’s Challenge: T-Shirts for Kindness Day

• Juuling: What’s the Buzz?

News

MHS Construction Updates: Holiday Hoorah

• News

MHS Students React to 4.4 Magnitude Earthquake

• Juuling: What’s the Buzz?

News

Peachtree City’s Newest Additions

• Juuling: What’s the Buzz?

News

The Steel Skeleton: MHS construction on schedule

• News

T-Shirts for Kindness

• Juuling: What’s the Buzz?

News

Web Design Club Oct 24

• Juuling: What’s the Buzz?

News

Controversy Builds Over Commemorations of the Centenary of World War I

Juuling: What’s the Buzz?