No shade…so now we’re throwing shade

Update on progress toward permanent shade structures for courtyard
Photo of the courtyard taken and edited in Canva by Nyla Kërr
Nyla Kërr

Throughout the school year, the Parent Teacher Student Organization (PTSO), has been responsible for organizing efforts to raise money that will go toward the improvement of the McIntosh courtyard. 

Last year, the PTSO was able to help fund school supplies and the school website. This year, the PTSO has a goal of raising enough money to buy and install new “shade sails” for the courtyard. The target amount for the shade sails is $25,000. Shannon Silvester is the president of the organization, and the main organizer for PTSO events.

“We started [planning for the sails at] the end of last year, and we really pushed it at the beginning of this year,” Silvester said.

Since August, these plans have been set in motion. Donations for the shade drive are being tracked using posters placed around the school. The PTSO is also working to host events that will raise funds for the shade drive. 

Photo of the poster tracking funds collected towards the shade drive (Nyla Kërr)

“The biggest thing we’ve got on our plate right now that has to do with our shade drive is the Swinging Medallions benefit concert,” Silvester said.

The concert will be an event hosted April 12, 2024 at the Ville Amphitheater in Fayetteville. 

“This is our big push this year,” Silvester said. 

The PTSO works mostly behind the scenes organizing events and fundraisers, including the Valentine’s Day candy grams that were sold earlier this month.

“We have committee chair people that actually spend a lot of hours volunteering,” said Angie Kiesling, the PTSO co-president. 

Some students may not be fully aware of the efforts going into the courtyard and the improvement of McIntosh. 

These are a big deal. These are permanent structures [and] they’re going to be McIntosh colors, of course,”

— Shannon Silvester

“To try to get the word out as to what things are going to look like and how awesome it’s going to make the courtyard for you guys – it’s really rough. It’s hard to do,” Silvester said.

The concert at the Ville Amphitheater is one of the PTSO’s largest efforts made towards the fundraising for the shade sails. 

Photo of the poster for the PTSO-organized benefit concert. (August Moss)

“We’re getting some sponsors from the community that are excited about this as well, so as far as we can spread the word on this (the concert), bring your families, come with your friends,” Silvester said.

Concert attendance can give the PTSO enough money to buy and install the shade sails by August of next school year.

“Leftover money from things like candy grams, if it’s needed, will also go towards the shade structure. I’m hoping to get a lot of students [at the benefit concert and] a lot of families there,” Silvester said.

McIntosh, being forty-three years old, any amount of improvement is positive for maintaining the prestige of the school. One way or another, the PTSO is determined that funds will be raised for the shade sails. 

“This is something to spread the word about at the moment because every bit of profit we make from this will go towards the shade structures, and if this works, then we will have enough to purchase them and install them over the summer,” Silvester said.

$250
$500

About the Contributors
August Moss
August Moss, Staff
August Moss is a first year Trail staffer and in her second year on the Legend yearbook staff, this year operating as senior editor. Moss is a Georgia REACH scholar. She served in the McIntosh theater department as stage manager for “Something Funny Happened On the Way to the Regional One Act Competition” and “Mamma Mia.” She served on crew for “She Kills Monsters” and “Footloose.” She acted in “Much Ado About Nothing” and “Very Still and Hard to See.” She was a Thespian Officer for the 2022-2023 school year. She was a volunteer member with the SAYA program for 2020-2021. She has served as a Sources Of Strength member since 2021 and this year she is a leader on the leadership team. Moss has many passions, but her faith trumps them all. You’ll find her singing in her church's worship band, serving in the children's ministry and always carries her bible full of notes with her.
Nyla Kërr
Nyla Kërr, Staff
Nyla Kërr is spending her first year on the McIntosh Trail staff for the 23-24 school year. She has always been passionate about writing and has been honing her craft for the past five years. Kërr received the President’s Award for Educational Excellence and competed in and won a speech and debate competition at both the school and county levels. Now, her top priority is surviving this school year and further developing her personal writing skills through journalism. Outside of school, she enjoys drawing, hanging out with friends and fighting to learn how to ride her low-quality, fixer-upper skateboard. The skateboard wins most days.
$250
$500