Students compete at state literary competition

Samuel Ellis

Seniors Christina Cortes and Xander Wilson won first place medals at the region tournament at Ola High School, which qualified them to compete in the state tournament where they placed fourth.

Jackson Fuentes, News Editor

Students Xander Wilson (senior), Christina Cortes (senior), and Samuel Ellis (sophomore) participated in the state literary competition on March 12 at Buford High School in north Georgia.

To qualify for state, both Xander and Christina earned first place together in duo interpretation at the region event at Ola High School.  Samuel also qualified by earning first place in international extemporaneous speaking.   At the state tournament, Xander and Christina came in fourth place for duo interpretation, and Samuel came in third place for international extemporaneous speaking.

Senior Xander Wilson said, “Even though the state competition didn’t go the way we planned, we were still proud of our hard work that earned us a region title.”

Sophomore Samuel Ellis said, “Literary competition helped me hone my skills as a speaker along with encouraged academic competition.  Any student skilled in speaking, impromptu, drama, or singing should absolutely compete in this event.”