Debate class tournament nears finale

Students observe and take notes on a semifinal debate in the winners bracket of the double elimination tournament

Jackson Fuentes

Students observe and take notes on a semifinal debate in the winners’ bracket of the double elimination tournament

Jackson Fuentes, News Editor

In Mr. Abel’s only debate class, the double elimination debate tournament that all of his students have participated in at one time or another since early March is drawing near a close.  Students have been arguing resolutions that have plagued the nation, such as if guns should be allowed, if intelligent design should be taught in classrooms, and if the death penalty is justified or not.  For students the tournament, much like the class, is intended to educate the students on current events and encourage students to think creatively about decisive topics in the world around them.

Debate student and freshman Nayaab Wadsariya said, “I enjoy watching the debates where students are really applying themselves because it really shows dedication; however, I could care less when students don’t really try their best during their debate.”

Junior Jamilla Clark said, “The debate tournament that we have been doing for the past weeks in debate class gives everyone a chance to show their abilities.  You think you know how someone debates and then they surprise you.  All of these debates are getting better and better as we progress, kind of like the prequels to a finale in a movie theater.  The finale is going to showcase the best debaters in our class and it’s going to be awesome.”