The Batman

Marjorie Smedley, Opinions Editor

In the next installment of films coming this spring, “The Batman” is set to debut in theaters March 4, after months of stalled production and numerous setbacks due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The movie is the next DCEU installment by Warner Brothers, coming after the latest, which was “The Suicide Squad” directed by James Gunn. The film, directed by Matt Reeves, is another reboot of the franchise, which was preceded by Christopher Nolan’s “Dark Knight Trilogy” and Zack Snyder’s “Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice.”

The movie casts Robert Pattinson as the titular character, with supporting actors Andy Serkis as Alfred Pennyworth, Jeffery Wright as Commissioner Gordon, and Zoë Kravitz as Selina Kyle. Paul Dano plays the Riddler as the main antagonist, with side characters Colin Farrell as the Penguin and John Turturro as Carmine Falcone. While Robert Pattison is best known for his major acting role as Edward Cullen in the “Twilight” films, though in recent year he is also known for acting roles in films such as “Lighthouse” and “Tenet.” His co-star, Zoë Kravitz, has had roles in the TV show “High Fidelity” and the “Divergent” movie trilogy, with his other co-star, Paul Dano, best known for his directorial debut, “Wildlife.”

The movie is set to explore political corruption in Gotham, with Robert Pattinson’s Batman in his second year of protecting the city. Director Matt Reeves and screenplay writer Mattson Tomlin drew inspiration from “Batman: Zero Year,” a story from the New52 reboot of the DC line that told the tale of Batman’s origin. “Zero Year” featured the Riddler as the main villain, and the movie seems to follow several plot points as shown by the trailer, one of which is a man-made flood, which was utilized by the Riddler in the comics. The movie’s synopsis hints at a dark tangled web of political corruption, and is set to be a detective-noir look at the Batman lore.

“I think that the best Batman is Christian Bale and no one could ever come close to how he portrayed him,” says junior Jazmin Naranjo.

“It’s pretty cool and I’m excited for the movie,” says sophomore Collier New.