Breaking News
Don't Miss a Minute of McIntosh.

McIntosh Trail - The Student News Site of McIntosh High School

Don't Miss a Minute of McIntosh.

Don't Miss a Minute of McIntosh.

Support Us
$350
$500

Your donation supports the student journalists of McIntosh High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase photography equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

“Lincoln” wows its viewers

Applause fills the theater. A great number of movie-goers silently nod their heads in agreement that this movie is the movie. They know it is the type of film the Oscar committee would stamp down on their final list of nominees. And if the Oscar committee dares to forget Daniel Day-Lewis as a nominee for “Best Actor in a Dramatic Film” for his portrayal of Abraham Lincoln, many would feel an injustice had occurred.

“Lincoln” serves as the best movie of the year for any history buff to view. The movie informs its viewers, yet it also entertains. Moments of sly or mature humor slip into the tension saturating the film. The lighting casts a somber shadow on the actors and actresses in the film. From the costumes to the acutely contentious politics, everything about “Lincoln” seems to reflect the time period it is set in. Devastation and war is rocking the nation. Every person is touched by it and the movie shows that.

What stands out the most in “Lincoln” are the performances. Most viewers likely know the atmosphere of the times. However, they may not be familiar with the people who make up the atmosphere. The majority of actors and actresses bring the historical figures they represent to life. The portrayal of Abraham Lincoln, Mary Todd Lincoln, and Thaddeus Stevens may specifically stand out. Viewers may finish watching the movie and feel compelled to do independent research on these historical figures because of how intriguing the actors make them seem.

Daniel Day-Lewis’ months long perpetration for his role of Lincoln pays off. Day-Lewis embodies what many have learned about what Lincoln was like and then some. If a viewer had an affection for Lincoln going in to see the film, they likely are to leave with a stronger one.

Sally Field’s portrayal of Lincoln’s wife feels convincing. Her sorrow over her son’s death and her concern and feelings of near abandonment by Lincoln may pull at the viewer’s heartstrings. Field’s depiction of Lincoln’s wife brings attention to the personal side of the revered president.

Tommy Lee Jones’ character, Thaddeus Stevens often brings much need comic relief to the film. To some, Jones brought to life a historical figure that is often overshadowed.

“Lincoln” is a great movie. At parts, the film may feel slow. However, the characters and the actors that portray them bring the movie back to life. Anyone who is a lover of history, Lincoln, or just interesting movies in general is likely to enjoy this film. 

4 out of 5 Chief-heads. Rating scale from 1 Chief-head (terrible) to 5 Chief-heads (amazing)

$350
$500