Support Us
$350
$500

“Paranormal Activity 4” follows the same franchise formula

Screenshot of Robbie eerily standing in Alexs doorway while shes talking to her boyfriend online.
Paramount Pictures
Screenshot of Robbie eerily standing in Alex’s doorway while she’s talking to her boyfriend online.

Cameras are in hand for an inane amount of time. Shaky camera work is added for authenticity. Some poor, unsuspecting family is at the mercy of demon and all the terror is caught on home video or security footage. It’s another installment of the “Paranormal Activity” franchise.

Instead of jumping to the past, “Paranormal Activity 4” takes place 5 years after the first 2 films. A new family unwittingly is involved with demon shenanigans when they accept 5 year-old Robbie into their household while his mother is in the hospital. The whereabouts of Katie and Hunter are still unknown. However, their whereabouts quickly become clear to the viewer. Viewers may be confused about which little boy is Hunter considering there is no clear answer by the film’s ending.

The movie adds nothing new to the pattern previous “Paranormal Activity” set up. Characters still find the time to film every move they make. When one family member complains about strange happenings, the others dismiss her as crazy. People are dragged about. Demons attempt to transfer from one person to the another. The film follows the exact formula of the other films. There are no surprises for those who have seen the previous installments of the series. The only difference is the entirely new family.

For viewers who have not seen any of the previous “Paranormal Activity” films, surprises are still few and far between. The film is not that scary. Viewers may jump here and there, but there are few if any moments when they may feel their heart pounding against their chest. Nothing much happens in the story line. The film leaves viewers with more questions than answers, obviously leaving the door open for a “Paranormal Activity 5” (which is scheduled to be released in October 2013).Where “Paranormal Activity 4” thrives at is its authenticity. The characters portrayed behavior is the same an average person would perhaps portray if in the same situation. They also seem to be everyday people many could relate to. That can be said about every other movie in the franchise though.

2.5/5 Chief-heads. Rating scale from 1 Chief-head (terrible) to 5 Chief-heads (amazing).

However, new viewers may feel invigorated by the feeling of authenticity in the horror film. With movie franchises like “Saw” and “Final Destination,” realism seems to be a forgotten relic of horror movie history. “Paranormal Activity 4” brings realism to the forefront again.

“Paranormal Activity 4” is an okay film. Viewers may finish watching the movie feeling like they expected or wanted more. Anyone who has enjoyed the previous installments of the franchise is likely to enjoy this film if they can stand the how similar it is to the other ones. New viewers may enjoy this film if they are searching for a more authentic-feeling horror film.

$350
$500