Rebekah: Nay to the early holidays

Nov 18, 2022

It is November. Not December. Christmas is a holiday for December. The first day of November came around and already people have been starting to play Christmas music and I have had a lot of friends talk about decorating for the holidays. In my opinion, the holidays need to be kept separate.

Thanksgiving is a completely different holiday than Christmas so why mix the holiday season together. Yes, Halloween is over and we have entered the seasons of holidays but I don’t think that means that we need to have a bunch of overlap.

Thanksgiving is always overshadowed by Christmas because Christmas gives everyone holiday cheer and good spirits but to me, Christmas has a completely different meaning than just presents, Santa and eggnog. Thanksgiving is the holiday all about family and communing together to dine and drink as a family and friends. Christmas is the time of year for remembrance of my faith.

Now, I will be the first person to admit that I absolutely adore Christmas time and the whole warm-hearted feel around that time of year. Winter is my favorite time of year, especially because of the loving holiday feel around it. However, I still don’t enjoy the overlap. Christmas music should not be played during November because it isn’t Christmas time yet, it is still completely Thanksgiving time.

Overall, I just don’t think that we need to ignore Thanksgiving in favor of an attempt at Christmas early. The Christmas holiday doesn’t actually start hitting until it is exam time and that week or two before we finish the semester. This is a false hope for the holidays.

$250
$500

$250
$500