Pom, jazz and overall pizzazz

Chiefettes Win GHSA Championship
McIntosh Chiefettes State Champion photo via GHSA Website (https://www.ghsa.net/congratulations-2024-dance-state-champions)
McIntosh Chiefette’s State Champion photo via GHSA Website (https://www.ghsa.net/congratulations-2024-dance-state-champions)

The McIntosh Chiefettes won the GHSA state championship for sections 5A-7A On Feb. 10, 2024. The GHSA competition took place in Macon, Georgia, where the Chiefettes competed and were able to earn a trophy for the Dance Team Display case. 

By winning the Pom routine and the Jazz routines, the Chieffetes were able to win the overall championship with a score of 98.9/100 in the Jazz routines and 98.83/100 in the pom routine. 

This win also was very motivating because everyone could see the hard work everyone put in.”

— Chloe Davis, senior

The team is made up of all grade levels and the win is the first for the freshman on the team.

“It feels really good to win state, because I’m a freshman and it’s my first year. It makes me feel really accomplished for all of us,” freshman Lilian Hodge said.

This is the first year that the Chiefette’s have won the Jazz section of the GHSA Dance Competition. Previously winning GHSA in 2019, the Chiefette’s were able to make a comeback by winning in the 2023 and the 2024 competition. 

Competing in the GHSA competition takes long practice.

“This year has been a level up completely for the team. By the way we’ve practiced and put in hard work it felt amazing to see it pay off,” junior Khami Williams said. 

Chiefette Manager senior Chloe Davis was on the Spirit Team as a dancer and switched to manager for the competition season.

”It felt great because I was very proud of the girls and watching their growth throughout the whole journey. Watching the practices was fulfilling as well as being there for them as their manager,” Davis said.
The state title is a motivating factor for the team.

“This win also was very motivating because everyone could see the hard work everyone put in,” Davis said.

$350
$500

Celine Jean
Celine Jean, Staff
Celine Jean is a junior serving in her first year as a staff member at the McIntosh Trail. Her passion for reading and writing had been ignited since elementary school when Jean was a part of the Poetry Club. In middle school, Jean’s interest in short stories and political ideologies took an intensive path after two years of participating in the Yale Splash program in Connecticut. Ever since 2021, Jean has volunteered with People of Impact and the Haitian American Caucus to assist the underserved community. Her involvement commenced with serving at soup kitchens and joining park cleaning events in urban and neglected areas in New York. Soon, Jean began to organize volunteering and fundraising events for domestic violence and family shelters. Jean joined God’s Love We Deliver, a non-profit that focuses on feeding hospice cancer and AIDS patients on holidays. In 9th grade, during a socially and politically sensitive climate, Jean became a founding leader of Uncommon Ground, a student group that partners with administration to learn concerns and bridge the gap of the BIPOC students. During her sophomore year at McIntosh, Jean joined the Parent Teacher Student Organization (PTSO), the Debate Team and the Spanish Club. Celine is excited about embarking on this new journey as an official staff member of the McIntosh Trail.
$350
$500