Wait… I have to cut weight?

Wrestlers cut and gain to make their weight class
Photo submitted by Hannah Brooker
Photo submitted by Hannah Brooker

Wrestling is an incredibly demanding sport with meets almost every weekend, practice, working out and even having to maintain weight. A wrestler needs strength, speed, technique, cardiovascular endurance and a strong mindset. Some wrestlers would have to starve themselves for days just to be able to wrestle at a certain weight class.  

It’s just tiring.”

— Bradley Langabeer

If cutting weight, a calorie deficit is way more beneficial to health then not eating at all. When malnourished, the body has little to no energy to do daily tasks without fatigue.

“I’ve bulked up thirty pounds. This week I have to lose ten pounds. It’s gonna be hard but there’s always a sauna. My eating habits really haven’t been affected by bulking, I’ve just been eating as much as I can,” freshman varsity wrestler Jack Lavender said.

If a wrestler doesn’t make a weight class there’s a possibility the wrestler will not be able to wrestle at all. That’s why it’s crucial for a wrestler to either gain weight or lose weight. Having to lose weight so quickly can cause a lot of problems to a wrestler’s body. 

“It’s just tiring. I am trying to stay as positive as possible. Mentally I’m tired, but trying to stay positive is a very important part of our sport. To play my part on the team is to keep a strong forward mindset,” junior varsity  sophomore wrestler Bradley Langabeer said. 

Cutting weight involves a lot of different components. 

I’ve just been eating as much as I can.”

— Jack Lavender

“Beforehand, I drink a lot of water so I can detox my system. Afterwards I stopped drinking a good amount of water. I drink a little bit but not as much as I usually do. And I start eating a lot less and I eat meat. It’s mainly just carbs throughout the day, so I’m still energized for the tournament. After I weigh in, I usually have something like PD light or honey so I’m still energized for the tournament. I also drink Pedialyte instead of water, so I have electrolytes in my system,” freshman varsity wrestler Connor Donnely said.

$350
$500

About the Contributors
Connor Lafontant
Connor Lafontant is a multi-sport athlete and also a new addition to the McIntosh trail. He was part of the track team at JC Booth and wishes to join here at MHS. He also swims and plays soccer for another rec team in Peachtree City. Lafontant and his 4x1 relay team also got 3rd in the county. Not only does he play sports, he also played the trombone for 3 years. Lafontant is also starting the honor roll. Recently, Lafontant volunteered at a homeless shelter and provided over 14,000 pounds of food for the homeless. He loves to do many things but helping people and giving is his favorite.
Antwon Ware
Antwon Ware, Staff
Antwon Ware is a first year staff member. In his free time, Ware likes to look at cars, play basketball, watch Youtube, talk to friends, cook, work out and eat food. Ware is looking forward to making the McIntosh basketball team and playing for them.
$350
$500