Photo Illustration created by McIntosh Student Media with multiple sports displayed
McIntosh Student Media

Chiefs Athletes of the Week

Nominated by their coaches, athletes stand out on the course, field or mat
Senior Ashley Hochberg competing at the Sept. 16 competition at Starrs Mill High School.
Competition cheerleader Ashley Hochberg is the AOTW for Oct. 23

Competition cheerleader Ashley Hochberg (12) is the AOTW for Oct. 23

“She is a positive athlete who leads by example. She is extremely talented and hard working and a pleasure to coach,” Coach Shannon Bednarowski said.

Senior Ashley Hochberg competing at the Sept. 16 competition at Starr’s Mill High School. (Rebekah Bushmire)
(Hudl)
Defensive lineman Matthew Woods is the AOTW for Oct. 16

Matthew Woods (12) is this week’s Chiefs Athlete of the week for October 16.

“Always gives us 100% effort. [Woods is] willing to play any position we need him to. Great student and his teachers and peers love him,” Coach Derek Smith said.

Chiefette Elizabeth Stanton during the pregame performance at the  Aug. 18 football game. Photo by Camilla OConnell, Legend yearbook staff
Senior Elizabeth Stanton is the AOTW for Oct. 9

Senior Elizabeth Stanton is this week’s Chiefs Athlete of the week for October 9.

“Elizabeth defines what it means to be a Chiefette. She works extremely hard, is always positive and is a strong leader,” Coach Carmen Yarbrough said.

Chiefette Elizabeth Stanton during the pregame performance at the Aug. 18 football game. Photo by Camilla O’Connell, Legend yearbook staff
In the Aug. 22 game against Woodward, setter Sofia Pruden-Carrasco (8) is this weeks Chiefs Athlete of the Week. The Chiefs went on to win 3-1.
Sofia Pruden-Carrasco, senior, is the AOTW for October 2

Sofia Pruden-Carrasco, senior, is this week’s Chiefs Athlete of the week for October 2.

This is Pruden-Carrasco’s second year as a setter and has played at both the JV and Varsity levels.

“She loves to play and compete and is a great leader on and off the court,” said Coach Holley Hayes.

In the Aug. 22 game against Woodward, setter Sofia Pruden-Carrasco (8) is this week’s Chiefs Athlete of the Week. The Chiefs went on to win 3-1. (Caroline Franklin)
Senior Nikhil Chikhliker at the Starrs Mill Panther XC Meet at Heritage Christian Church XC Course
in Fayetteville, GA on Sep 2, 2023.
Senior XC runner Nikhil Chikhliker is the AOTW for September 25

Senior Nikhil Chikhliker of the MHS Boys Cross Country Team is this week’s Athlete of the Week.

Coach Michael Johnson nominated Chikhliker.

“[He] has emerged as one of the leaders on the team. His work over the summer with all of our new guys has helped cement the team together,” Johnson said.

Chikhliker last competed at Huntsville High School in Huntsville, Alabama at the Southern Showcase September 15 and 16, running in the Boys 5000 with a time of 17:48:28.

Senior Nikhil Chikhliker at the Starr’s Mill Panther XC Meet at Heritage Christian Church XC Course in Fayetteville, GA on Sep 2, 2023. (Caroline Franklin)
Noelle Sullivan at the Sept. 2, 2023 AT&T Starrs Mill Panther Meet at
Heritage Christian Church in Fayetteville, GA. Sullivan finished thirty-second with a time of 20:20.20.
XC runner Noelle Sullivan, Senior, is the AOTW for September 18

Noelle Sullivan is a senior and a four-year member of the Cross Country team.

Sullivan placed twelfth at the Aug. in the 5000m event at the Fowlkes Memorial Invitational on Aug. 19 and placed thirty-first out of 185 runners in the same event at the Panther Invitational on Sept. 2.

“Noelle has been working hard all summer to push her teammates. She is a needed leader on the girls’ team,” said Coach Michael Johnson.

Noelle Sullivan at the Sept. 2, 2023 AT&T Starr’s Mill Panther Meet at Heritage Christian Church in Fayetteville, GA. Sullivan finished thirty-second with a time of 20:20.20. (Caroline Franklin)
Senior Kylie Alonzo at the Sept. 6 football game against Woodland HS.
Cheerleader Kylie Alonso (12) is the AOTW for September 11

Kylie Alonso is a senior and a four-year member of the Varsity Football cheerleading team.

According to coach Shannon Bednarowski, Alonso is an asset to the program.

“She does whatever is asked of her with a smile on her face and positive attitude.  She is a team player,” said Bednarowski,

Senior Kylie Alonzo at the Sept. 6 football game against Woodland HS. (Caroline Franklin)
Senior softball player and four-year veteran Tashi Fife at the Sept. 6 game against Northside HS.
Tashi Fife, senior, is the AOTW for September 4
Four-year Varsity softball player Natasha Fife is the Chiefs Athlete of the week for Sept. 4.

“She is currently hitting .471 for the Chiefs, and is a team leader in the circle as a pitcher,” said Coach Tom Kelley.

Senior softball player and four-year veteran Tashi Fife at the Sept. 6 game against Northside HS. (Madison Fambro)
Sophomore Westen Homan is the AOTW for August 28
Sophomore Westen Homan had 100% summer practice attendance. Submitted by MHS Football (MHS Football)

Nominated by Head Football Coach Derek Smith, sophomore Right Tackle Westen Homan earned the right to be named Chiefs Athlete of the Week for having “100% attendance” during summer practices this year. Homan “earned a starting position as a sophomore on varsity,” according to Smith.

“[Varsity] is a lot different than playing on JV; there’s a lot more pressure,” Homan said.

Homan describes his position on the field as “protect[ing] the quarterback (and) make sure he doesn’t get hit.”

The Chiefs will play against Hampton in an away game, with kickoff at 7:30 p.m. Last year the Chiefs fell 56-48.

Senior Libero Jaqc Fournier passes the volleyball during the 2023 volleyball season
Senior Libero Jacqueline Fournier is the AOTW for August 21

Assistant Volleyball Coach Sarah Hayes nominated Jacqueline Fournier as the August 21 Athlete of the Week.

“She has excelled on the volleyball court and in the classroom at McIntosh.  Jacq enters this season as a three-year varsity starter and a member of the National Honor Society.  Jacq has also taken a number of AP classes.  We are proud of her accomplishments on and off the court,” Hayes said.

The Varsity Volleyball team takes on Woodward Academy at home on Aug. 22 at 6 p.m.

Senior Libero Jaqc Fournier passes the volleyball during the 2023 volleyball season (Caroline Franklin)
$350
$500

Antwon Ware
Antwon Ware, Staff
Antwon Ware is a first year staff member. In his free time, Ware likes to look at cars, play basketball, watch Youtube, talk to friends, cook, work out and eat food. Ware is looking forward to making the McIntosh basketball team and playing for them.
$350
$500