Soccer Teams Kick Off The Season With Tryouts

Kamryn Torr

Towards the end of tryouts on Thursday, all the girls’ coaches circled up. They discussed how tryouts went and where they would be meeting following tryouts to discuss what team each player would be on for the upcoming season.

Kamryn Torr, Editor In Chief

Soccer tryouts began this week for all teams; freshmen, junior varsity, and varsity, which means that soccer season is officially here. “This week has definitely been so much fun, but has also been stressful,” said freshman Katherine Kimmel, “I feel like the tryouts in general have made me a better player and a better person.” Last season, both teams concluded the season by making it to the state championship at Mercer University. The boys’ lost 1-0 against Johnson and the girls’ lost to Whitewater in penalty kicks.

Tryouts for both teams officially ended on Thursday, Jan. 17. After a week full of cone drills and small sided scrimmages, the boys’ tryout week ended with some 11v11 scrimmaging on the stadium field.

“We have a better group than we usually do,” said senior Baba Agbaje, “I’m looking forward to the season because we are going to have a solid group no matter what. We’re a team this year.” 

— Baba Agbaje

For the girls’, after a week full of 1v1’s and scrimmaging, some of the girls’ made up or re-ran the annual 7 lap run around the track that is a part of their tryout process.  

“The run is very tough and probably the most stressful part of the entire tryout process,” said senior Hannah Elwell, “But once it’s done, it feels great.”

After coaching the McIntosh girls’ varsity team for close to 20 years, Marcia Clark decided at the end of last season that she was going to step down as varsity head coach and coach the girls’ freshman team this season. Hannah Rawson, many know from Young Life and WyldLife, will be coaching the girls’ junior varsity team this season with Michael Davis, Physical Education teacher at Huddleston Elementary School. After many years of coaching the girls’ junior varsity team, Casey Kreitner, the ESOL teacher at McIntosh, will be coaching the girls’ varsity team alongside her husband, Luke Kreitner.

The coaches for the boys’ teams remain the same as last season. Coach Grabhorn will continue coaching the boys’ freshman team. Drake Dale will be coaching the boys’ junior varsity team. Bunky Colvin, history teacher at McIntosh, will be coaching the boys’ varsity team with assistant coaches Brian Messer and Greg Bennett.

“Tryout week went really well and I’m looking forward to the season,” said junior Luke Giordano, “The group this year really wants to work hard and if we keep our minds straight, I think we can win a ring.”