Lady Chiefs and Chiefs Face Defeat After Hard Fight In The State Championship Game

McIntosh+Seniors+%28L-R%3A+Connor+Koscevic%2C+Ethan+Ange%2C+Zach+Pina%2C+Luke+Henry%29+enjoying+their+final+student+section+experience+during+the+whiteout+state+championship+game+at+Mercer+University.+
McIntosh Seniors (L-R: Connor Koscevic, Ethan Ange, Zach Pina, Luke Henry) enjoying their final student section experience during the whiteout state championship game at Mercer University.

Chris Dunn

Chris Dunn

Kamryn Torr, Editor In Chief

Both McIntosh varsity soccer teams were able to advance to the state championship on Friday, May 11. The Lady Chiefs advanced to the state championship for the third year in a row and the 14th time in school history with an overall record of 20-2-3. The Chiefs advanced to the state championship for the second year in a row.

The Lady Chiefs defeated Flowery Branch in the semi-finals (3-2) at home in double overtime with a goal by Sophomore Macy Simon and 2 goals by Junior Tariah Miller. Then, the Lady Chiefs faced county rival Whitewater in the state championship at Mercer University.

The Lady Wildcats of Whitewater had the first goal of the game with 29 minutes left in the first half. After going majority of the game with decent possession and no more goals against them, the Lady Chiefs finally got a goal with 20 seconds left in the game. The goal came off of a cross from sophomore Lauren Snell and was finished by senior captain Kimmy Edgeworth. This late goal in the second half led to the game going into overtime. Two five-minute overtimes went past with no goals, so the game was decided by penalty kicks. The Whitewater keeper saved two penalty kicks to secure the win for Whitewater.

The Chiefs defeated Decatur in the semi-finals on the road in penalty kicks, with key saves from senior captain Jake Donaldson. Then, the Chiefs faced Johnson in the state championship after the girls’ game.

The entire game was well possessed by the Chiefs. After the first half, the game was tied scoreless at 0-0. The first and only goal of the game came with about 13 minutes left in the game for Johnson.

Although both teams fell short in the state championship this year, neither team has anything to hang their heads about. The Lady Chiefs finished the season with an overall record of 20-2-3 with their loses being against Walton (1-0) in a pre-season scrimmage, Westminster (2-1), and Whitewater in the state championship. The Chiefs finished the season with an overall record of 28-6 with their loses being against Dalton (3-1), Clarkston (3-1), Druid Hills (2-1), Westminster (2-1), Starr’s Mill (3-0), and Johnson in the state championship.

Senior captain for the Chiefs, Jake Donaldson said, “Obviously it’s disappointing to get all the way to the state championship and not come away with a victory, but the growth of the team was incredible. Halfway through the season everyone was writing us off and telling us we had no chance to get back to the championship game, but we worked hard every single day and earned our spot in the championship. I couldn’t be more proud of my team.”

Senior captain for the Lady Chiefs, Emma Whitson said, “I think we had an incredible season and I am so proud of everyone on the team. It just ended in an unlucky, unfortunate way, but we fought our hardest until the end.”

Junior Addie Dattilo said, “Nobody thought we’d go that far. We could’ve won the won thing, but we’re saving it for next season.”

Sophomore Katelyn Galbraith said, “I would say that it was an unlucky loss and everyone worked really hard this season. I’m excited for next year because we have so much new talent coming in and everyone is gonna want revenge.”