McIntosh Chiefs Football Defeats Henry County Warhawks

Senior+Will+Vaughn%2C+Senior+Bradley+Ector%2C+and+Junior+Calvin+Flowers+get+in+place+for+their+next+play.+

Helen Hu

Senior Will Vaughn, Senior Bradley Ector, and Junior Calvin Flowers get in place for their next play.

Jack Vaughn, Features Editor

Keeping its winning streak alive, the McIntosh football team defeated the Henry County Warhawks on Friday, September 1st. Luckily the weather at McIntosh High School was clear, unlike in previous games this season, and the game was never delayed. 

The Chiefs started off strong with a touchdown by Junior Dane Kinamon in the first quarter. The touchdown was followed by a field goal from Freshman William Mason. Aside from a “bad snap” that was recovered by Dane Kinamon in the second quarter, the team kept their momentum throughout the first half. In particular, Senior Deandre Wade helped stop the Warhawks from scoring in the end of the second quarter.

Jack Vaughn
Senior Duffy Weldon conducts the band at the football game

At halftime, both teams’ marching bands performed, but the McIntosh band appeared especially impressive and coordinated. When asked about the marching band, Senior Emma Vender said, “It was our best run so far; you could tell how much we’ve practiced by how synchronized we were.”

Meanwhile, the football players hoped their success would endure. Junior Ryan Sanders said, “We have been playing really good defense and have been holding them back. In the second half, we will work to get even more points on the board.”

Thankfully, the Chiefs retained their lead on the Warhawks. With 5:28 left in the 3rd quarter, Calvin Flowers almost intercepted the ball from the Warhawks. While they escaped that interception, Bradley Ector intercepted the ball with 1:15 left in the 3rd quarter. When asked about this interception, Bradley commented, “They put me out there. They told me to make a play. [The Warhawks] threw the ball my way and I intercepted it as simple as that.” Later, another touchdown from Dane Kinamon and a touchdown from Ector secured victory; the final score was 21-6.  

After the game, Coach Pluskota talked about the source of the victory and future plans for the team. He said, “I feel like the kids played really hard. They worked really hard all summer, and they work really hard at practice. I am proud of what they did tonight, and for what they will do for the rest of the season.”