Freshman joins dance team

Freshmen Caroline Malloy (left) and Claire Ivory (right) prepare for the Ola vs. McIntosh football game on Friday, Sept. 11.

Kamryn Torr, Editor In Chief

Since it’s her first year as a dancer for McIntosh, Freshman Claire Ivory said, “I was nervous trying out for a nationally ranked dance team,” but 10 years of dance experience helped her. She said “practice, practice, and more practice” helped her prepare for the tryouts. With a lot ahead of them, the team goal for this year is to win state and the national competition. Claire said her individual goal is to “continue to improve my technique.”

Claire said she “really enjoys the football games and is most looking forward to the national competition in January in Disney World.” She also said she “loves being able to share her love of dance and gaining a lot of friends through being on the team.” Claire said her favorite saying is “dance like no one’s watching” because “it inspires her to push herself to dance her best.”

With very little free time between school and dance practice, which is seven to nine hours a week, Claire said she “enjoys hanging out with friends when she gets the chance to.” Claire said a positive from being on the team is “I get to make really great, encouraging friends, and I get to push myself in a positive way.” Claire said a drawback from being on the team is “juggling school and a varsity sport.”