Student Athlete of the Week – Olivia Ulrich

Senior+Olivia+Ulrich+helped+the+Lady+Chiefs+beat+Starrs+Mill+at+the+Dual+Meet+in+December.+

Julianna Kearney

Senior Olivia Ulrich helped the Lady Chiefs beat Starr’s Mill at the Dual Meet in December.

Julianna Kearney, Sports Editor

Senior Olivia Ulrich is a part of the McIntosh Chiefs’ swim team. Olivia has been swimming since she was five years old, and she said, “I’ve swam for four different summer swim teams and three different club teams, some in Austin, Texas, and some here in Peachtree City. I swam SCAT for the first semester of my freshman year, but I’ve only swam for McIntosh since [then].”

As a senior, Olivia has had four years of practice of balancing swim and school. She said, “Since swim practice is in the evening and it’s hard to focus after, [so] I often have to get up early the next morning to finish my homework. Balance is tough, especially with such challenging coursework.”

Coaches have made a big impact on Olivia’s swim career and in life. She said, “My coaches have really encouraged me to work hard for the goals I want to achieve. If I want a certain time in an event, it won’t just come to me. I have to put in the effort to reach that goal. And this applies to any goal, not just swimming. It’s more of a life philosophy.”

The craziest thing Olivia has had to do for a swim is swimming with tennis shoes on for extra resistance. Her favorite swim memories come from summer swim team. She said, “The whole program is focused on fun, and as a kid, it was the highlight of my summer. I actually had the opportunity this past summer to coach the Planterra Penguins, and I really enjoyed sharing something I love with kids. It was a blast.”

Next year, Olivia plans to attend Georgia Tech and major in Industrial Engineering. She said, “My dream job is something that helps disadvantaged people all over the world. I’m still trying to figure out how I can do that.” Also in the future, Olivia hopes to live in South America.