Don't Miss a Minute of McIntosh.

Courtyard closed due to littering

Disturbance of trash in the courtyard leads to the courtyard closing after spring break

Mar 31, 2023

The courtyard has been at McIntosh since 1981, and has been used not only to eat outside but to get from class to class. Sadly, due to students not cleaning up trash after lunch, the courtyard will not be available to use when students return from spring break. Multiple warnings have been given by the administration that if the trash continues students will not be able to eat outside.

Trash has been a problem in the courtyard for a long time.

“After repeated attempts and requests for students to pick up after themselves in the courtyard, we have determined that [students] are unable to comply and we will stop having lunch in the courtyard effective immediately,” assistant principal Dan Lakly said.

After C lunch on Fri. March 31, administrators made the decision to close the courtyard after the mess that was left by students. (Mikayla Carrino)

After C lunch on Fri. March 31, administrators made the decision to close the courtyard after the mess that was left by students. (Mikayla Mills)

Students are also unhappy with the mess.

“Every day, I walk through the courtyard and I see plenty of trash just left out even by the trash cans. People literally leave their trash next to the garbage instead of simply putting their trash in the garbage,” freshman Eli Smith said.

The courtyard is important to students and staff, especially the students because they love getting the chance to enjoy the weather while eating their lunch, and walking through to get from class to class. Students also enjoy meeting up with friends in the courtyard as it is the easiest way since wherever you are on the first floor there is a door leading to the courtyard nearby.

The courtyard is also important to the teachers because some often take their classes

to the courtyard to work and or do activities that tie into the lesson that they are teaching.

“We like using the courtyard because it’s just fun to get outside and making activities more fun,” world history, sociology and psychology teacher Chris Judy said.

“It’s unfortunate that the courtyard won’t be available anymore. I think there are many students here whose favorite part of McIntosh is the use of the courtyard especially when most high schools don’t have that,” senior Jack Tuffin said.

$250
$500

Your donation supports the student journalists of McIntosh High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase photography equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

$250
$500