What’s with all the hate about the day of love?

Does your heart feel torn between loving a holiday and not knowing how to celebrate it?
Graphic made via Canva
Graphic made via Canva
Lily Johnson

Valentine’s Day is Feb. 14, this year it was on a Wednesday. While many people enjoy the holiday, there are some who dislike it or think it is unimportant. Valentine’s day is not just about romantic love but also platonic love like with friends and family. Some people may argue that you can express your love for those close to you every day of the year but I think it’s important to spread extra love and joy to those around you. Although it can be hard to get people gifts they will like, the holiday is fun to celebrate with those you care about. 

People also argue that the holiday is “just an excuse to spend money.” However, if you do not want to spend a lot of money on gifts, I think homemade gifts are good to give since they have sentimental value and are cheaper. Even if you’re not an artistic person or aren’t talented in making crafts, the effort put into the gift is what matters, not the quality of it. Gifts such as letters, candies and other small things are great gifts to give your valentine. 

My grandmother occasionally sends me letters which makes me so happy. It means a lot that she takes time out of her day to sit down, write a letter and then send it to me. I love going to get the mail and seeing a letter addressed just to me. I know it makes her happy so I love writing back to her even though I’m not a huge fan of writing by hand.

Well many people dislike Valentine’s Day since they are not in a romantic relationship, a valentine doesn’t have to always be a significant other. In an article titled “Why I’m in love with Valentine’s Day” published by The Seattle Times, “The day is about celebrating the love from all  relationships in life — parents, siblings or even pets — not just the romantic ones.” I personally give my pets, friends and parents/other relatives gifts during the holiday. Being able to celebrate the people I love platonically in my life is important to me and I love seeing their eyes light up when they open the gifts I give. I typically give homemade gifts since I find them to be more thoughtful and sentimental. They also cost me little to no money.

Receiving and giving gifts (whether simple or extravagant) is a way to show someone you love and care about them, especially if the give has sentimental value or a deep meaning behind it. You don’t have to love the holiday to express your love and compassion for those close to you.

View Comments (1)
$350
$500

Lily Johnson
Lily Johnson, Staff
Lily Johnson is a freshman at McIntosh High School. It is her first year on the Trail and she is looking forward to working with the other members of the staff and getting to know more about journalism. As a part of Beta Club, Johnson enjoys helping those around her and being a part of a team. She likes volunteering at PetSmart with the Fayette Humane Society. She loves being able to know that she’s helping the animals be put into good homes and will be able to live out the rest of their lives happily. She also volunteers at Clothes Less Traveled. Johnson enjoys reading, working out and cooking. She also enjoys many forms of art such as writing, painting, pottery and music. Some of her favorite musical artists are Lil Peep, The Weeknd, Arctic Monkeys, Chase Atlantic and The Neighbourhood. Outside of school, she likes to play lacrosse, read and skate. Johnson has been playing for Peachtree City Warriors for almost three years.
$350
$500

Comments (1)

Online comments that are found in violation of the McIntosh Student Media editorial policy will be removed as quickly as possible.
Comments are Closed.
All McIntosh Trail - The Student News Site of McIntosh High School Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest
  • Natalie MelfiFeb 16, 2024 at 1:59 pm

Handmade gifts are the best!! Very well-written piece. You are a talented writer! I bet it makes your grandmother’s day when she receives a letter from you.