OPINION: Idolizing is not always righteous

Gypsy-Rose Blanchard becomes an “influencer” after being released from prison for plotting to murder her mother
A screenshot of Blanchards instagram comment section about her being like her mother.
Mikayla Carrino
A screenshot of Blanchard’s instagram comment section about her being like her mother.
A screenshot of Blanchard’s instagram comment section about her being like her mother. (Mikayla Carrino)

Gypsy-Rose Blanchard, now a 32-year-old woman who was sentenced to a decade-long prison conviction for her role in the second-degree murder of her mother, which was then carried out by her boyfriend at the time, Nicholas Godejohn. Blanchard, 23 at the time, was charged with second degree murder and sentenced to ten years in prison, but was paroled after serving eight years.

When young people on social media found out about Blanchard’s backstory, ahead of her December 2023 prison release date, they started to idolize this woman. They followed all of her social media accounts, which now have a following of over eight million.

Gypsy Rose Blanchard is not someone to idolize. But not for the reason you think. 

Blanchard was a victim of her mother’s abuse from her birth until she was 23-years-old.  Social media quickly began to fill her comments with either love or hate. As any other social media “influencer” she was quickly “canceled.” For being a “manipulator” as if she wasn’t just released from prison and 18 years of abuse.

Why is the media canceling a woman who has never lived or seen society as good? Because of everything that Blanchard  has been through she basically has to start her life over as a grown adult.

Now that Blanchard has been released for over a month, her followers are starting to realize that she is not like any other “influencer.” Gyspy’s mother, Dee Dee used physical abuse to control Gyspy-Rose and then had to pretend that her mother was a good person in public, of course she’s going to act differently and love differently. She only learned manipulation, so how can the media expect her to be this perfect person. 

The comments in her posts, once about how she was “slaying,” and calling her “queen” are now about how she’s great at manipulation and the media needs to see it and dislike Blanchard for not understanding that what she posts can be seen as manipulation because that’s all she ever knew. 

When you continuously see something as a part of your everyday life you are lead to believe that what’s being experienced is normal even in the most inhumane circumstances like Blanchard experienced. 

Stop idolizing every big following on social media.

$350
$500

$350
$500