Graphic design created in Canva by Adwa Umoya
Adwa Umoya

H@shtags: everything in social media

Trending topics of the week and what to keep your eye on

My hottake on this week’s hashtags? Did y’all see this ongoing beef with Meg and Nicki? *bombastic side eye* It’s honestly still so crazy to me that both of these women are fighting, considering in 2019, they literally put out the song of the summer, “Hot Girl Summer.” *Sigh* I just hope that they both can come down from their emotions and talk this out without the pressure from the Barbs and the Hotties. What sucks is that my good sis Ice “U not even the s***” Spice’s new song is being overlooked because of this beef. “I said four hundred bands, just to do my lil’ dance,” like she ate that lil line up. But now apparently she’s beefing with Latto now because Latto’s filming her new video in the Bronx, which is where the “Boy’s a Liar” rapper is from, and fans assumed that was shade towards Ice Spice.  

Thank you, the next album coming out by Ms. Ariana Grande is expected Mar. 8 and I’m so excited. “Yes, And” was such a hit that “Eternal Sunshine” is definitely gonna be high on my list. I know that she was working on “Wicked,” the movie, which is expected to release in theaters Nov. 27 this year, so I’m excited for the heavenly vocals on this album. 

Let’s talk about all the movies and tv shows taking the world by storm this week. My FYP was covered with edits from the new Percy Jackson series and they single handedly convinced me to watch the show – especially since Annabeth was being played a young black queen, which had people bothered on the internet. The series was so good and felt authentic to the book. Season 2, where are you?

Speaking of a show needing a season 2, “Griselda,” the Netflix limited series about the Columbian drug lord Griselda Blanco, starring Sofia Vergara, who’s most known for her role as Gloria on “Modern Family,” was a watch I knew I would love because I love shows where there’s a strong female lead who’s unapologetically herself. It was so refreshing seeing her in a more serious role and not being made into a stereotypical Latina role. 

Now, now, now, Austin McBroom. I don’t know who that man is *keke palmer voice*. Like him and Catherine announced their divorce and he just decided to wil’ out. He’s living about a minute away from her and the kids in an RV, interviewing for a job at CVS, staying over at Halle Bailey and DDG’s house and overall making a meme out of himself. 

Now follow this: My favorite creator of the week is @hustlanani. She is a D.C based content creator who went viral for making a mission out of helping a homeless man. The man, Alonzo, walked up to her asking for tea and she took him to CVS to get medicine as well as to Starbucks for a green tea. Later in the day, she paid for a hotel room for Alonzo and proclaimed him as “Unc.” The video has gone viral and the GoFundMe created for him has raised over 300,000 dollars. Period.

$350
$500

Adwa Umoya
Adwa Umoya, Social Media Manager
Adwa Umoya is a senior and in her second year as McIntosh Trail’s social media manager. Umoya is a fashion and beauty enthusiast who interned at Sephora during her time living in New York. Born to a Trinidadian mother and a Nigerian father, Umoya has traveled to both countries numerous times and enjoys relishing in her culture. She is also a former member of X-Step, a young stepping program for young women who attended Excellence Girls and performed at the Cares Gala in 2020. In the past, she has also taken AP Biology and is currently a member of McIntosh’s Black Student Union. In her downtime, Umoya loves spending time with her family and friends, eating and obsessing over the color pink.
$350
$500