Graphic design created in Canva by Adwa Umoya
Adwa Umoya

H@shtags: everything in social media

Trending topics of the week and what to keep your eye on

My hottake on this week’s hashtags? Barbs, how you feeling? Mother has finally released Pink Friday 2 and let me tell y’all: it delivered. Not only am I obsessed with the songs, but the samples and the features speak for themselves. Minaj had samples from songs by artists like Billie Eilish, Biggie Smalls and Biggie Smalls, with features like Drake and Lil Wayne. J. Cole, Lil Uzi Vert, Future and more. Not only is it the first album Minaj’s released in 5 years, but the album is released on the rapper’s forty-first birthday. We love a sentimental moment. And that album definitely made me cry. 

Taylor “I Knew You Were Trouble” Swift was Time Magazine’s “Person of the Year” and while I may not be a Swiftie, Swift having the title doesn’t surprise me and she 1000% deserves it. Her humanitarian and singing and song-writing skills are peak, and her tour and movie did very well both in theaters and on social media. There were a lot of instances throughout the year where it seemed like people were throwing one thing after another at her, from her allegedly dating a controversial person to made-up drama between her and Beyonce, but to see those things not stick and for her to continue top succeed is an amazing thing. 

What I just recently noticed (because it’s a recent thing, duh) is how the Variety youtube channel has released quite a lot of their segment ‘Actors on Actors’ and I’m living for it. The most recent one featured Emma Stone and Bradley Cooper and others had stars like Halle Bailey and Rachel Zegler, Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt and Robert Downey Jr and Mark Ruffalo. I don’t know who had all of these videos just sitting around and forgot at the last minute and decided to release them all around the same time, but I’m definitely not complaining because they usually only do an Actors on Actors every once in while. 

Now follow this: My favorite creator of the week is  @speedy. He is a well known celebrity interviewer and is so effortlessly hilarious. My favorite interview of his is from 4 years ago when he was doing an interview with actor/ rapper Ray J and broke Ray J’s “unbreakable” glasses. And that clip is now a staple in pop culture. 

$250
$500

Adwa Umoya
Adwa Umoya, Social Media Manager
Adwa Umoya is a senior and in her second year as McIntosh Trail’s social media manager. Umoya is a fashion and beauty enthusiast who interned at Sephora during her time living in New York. Born to a Trinidadian mother and a Nigerian father, Umoya has traveled to both countries numerous times and enjoys relishing in her culture. She is also a former member of X-Step, a young stepping program for young women who attended Excellence Girls and performed at the Cares Gala in 2020. In the past, she has also taken AP Biology and is currently a member of McIntosh’s Black Student Union. In her downtime, Umoya loves spending time with her family and friends, eating and obsessing over the color pink.
$250
$500