Swift never goes out of style

Swifties take a first listen and review the vault tracks of 1989 (Taylor’s Version)
Graphic created in Canva by Lulu Vitulo and Grace Lovejoy
“Say Don’t Go”
Staff Writer August Moss (Rebekah Bushmire)

The second this song started and kicked in with the guitar and beat, I was immediately hooked. She starts off singing in her absolutely gorgeous low range, and it just “Hits Different.” The first time she does the whisper sounding “Say Don’t Go” it really gives off classic Taylor. This song is “1989” in real time. It really reminds me of “You’re losing me,” with its upbeat yet heartbreaking lyrics. It keeps the pop sounding melody that “1989” was supposed to give while showing her development, and still having a “Speak Now” touch with the guitar at the beginning of the song. 

“Suburban Legends”
Features Editor Grace Lovejoy
Features Editor Grace Lovejoy (Rebekah Bushmire)

The vibe of this song is very “Midnights.” This song compares to her song cameos in the Amazon Prime Video series “The Summer I Turned Pretty.” I love how calm the song is, but it also has some edge. The line “And you kiss me in a way that’s gonna screw me up forever,” demonstrates this. The only line I don’t really understand is “I didn’t come here to make friends.” I feel like it doesn’t really fit the story of her finding her true love. Overall I love the 1950’s suburban references and it’s a very catchy song.

“Now That We Don’t Talk”
Managing Editor Lulu Vitulo (Rebekah Bushmire)

The production from the start feels very similar to her “Midnights” album, of course being still produced by Jack Antonoff, and she keeps her voice in the lower range that she’s matured into for that album as well. There’s a sudden switch to a high octave that is practically angelic, and she pushes her lyrics to create a heightened, anxious feel, which fits the lyrics of that part as she’s talking to her mother because she’s stressed about a failed situationship.

”Sl–!”
Staff Writer Mikayla Carrino (Rebekah Bushmire)

This song is “Midnights.” The background music gave that feel 100%. This song portrays the media’s derogatory perspective of her as a “Sl–!” I definitely believe that this song is her response to the criticism Taylor has faced by the public eye of her dating history. I loved how brave she was to make a song about it.

Managing Editor Lulu Vitulo, Features Editor Grace Lovejoy, and staff writer August Moss and Mikayla Carrino react to "Is It Over Now?" by Taylor Swift for the first time. (Grace Lovejoy)
“Is It Over Now?”

August

This song is “1989.” If I had to pick out a song to describe all of “1989,” it would be this. Everything from the sound, to the lyrics, is so Taylor. Her voice in the little “Ah!” that gets repeated throughout the whole song is very classic “1989.” The bridge has been on repeat in my mind every day since I first listened to the track. The words, the beat, just everything absolutely took off on every social media.

Grace

This song really reminded me of her song “Out of the Woods” which is also from “1989.” I have repeatedly listened to this song since it came out. When she says “blue dress on a boat” it is most definitely referring to her and Harry Styles’ boat date when she wore a blue dress. There was a note she hit towards the end of the song that was exactly like “Out of the Woods” if you played them side by side they would be the same. Overall it was such a great song I wish she had released it sooner. 

Lulu

Definitely one of the catchiest songs Swift has written, although there’s plenty of competition. To me this was a perfect ending track that really went back to the original “1989” production that I think a lot of Swifties were missing from the other vault tracks. It’s also packed with imagery and wording; one of those Swift songs that make people talk about the magic of her “pen,” her amazing songwriting ability. 

Mikayla

I think this was the best song of the album. Very catchy, very “1989” and in my opinion the only one that sounded like “1989.” The background music and the extra sounds like the “Ah” every once in a while, everything about this song was perfect.

$350
$500

About the Contributors
Grace Lovejoy
Grace Lovejoy, Features Editor
Grace Lovejoy is serving as the Features Editor for the McIntosh Trail this year. Lovejoy is a sophomore this year and ia McIntosh Ambassador and a Gold Honor Roll Student. Lovejoy first started journalism In sixth grade at J.C Booth Middle School working for the online newsletter. She joined the Mcintosh Trail last year and was promoted to Features Editor as a sophomore. Last year, Lovejoy won the Trail staff’s first Best of SNO Excellence in writing badge for her story “Collision course: teens and golf cart accidents in Peachtree City”. In the fall, she followed and wrote multiple stories about Taylor Swift vs. Ticketmaster. At the Georgia Scholastic Press Association’s Spring Convention, she won a superior in depth news story award for her story, “The Saga of Taylor Swift Tickets: “The Great War '' between fans and Ticketmaster”. Lovejoy is now seeing her first year as a New Voices Student Leader at the Student Press Law Center for the 2023-2024 school year. She also applied to Teen Insight, a fully teen-run student online newspaper created by New Voices Leaders. Last year, Lovejoy was a part of the McIntosh Drama Department’s one act and the McIntosh Girls Varsity Tennis Team. Lovejoy loves journaling, organizing and acting. She is very excited to help new staffers have a successful first year of highschool journalism!
August Moss
August Moss, Staff
August Moss is a first year Trail staffer and in her second year on the Legend yearbook staff, this year operating as senior editor. Moss is a Georgia REACH scholar. She served in the McIntosh theater department as stage manager for “Something Funny Happened On the Way to the Regional One Act Competition” and “Mamma Mia.” She served on crew for “She Kills Monsters” and “Footloose.” She acted in “Much Ado About Nothing” and “Very Still and Hard to See.” She was a Thespian Officer for the 2022-2023 school year. She was a volunteer member with the SAYA program for 2020-2021. She has served as a Sources Of Strength member since 2021 and this year she is a leader on the leadership team. Moss has many passions, but her faith trumps them all. You’ll find her singing in her church's worship band, serving in the children's ministry and always carries her bible full of notes with her.
Mikayla Mills
Mikayla Mills, Staff
Mikayla Carrino-Mills is a new student to the McIntosh Trail in the 22-23 school year. In middle school, Carrino-Mills joined a Graphic Design & Photography Class, in which she excelled in writing and photography. She continued her hobby into the McIntosh Trail in her sophomore year. Carrino-Mills wrote several essays, which were recognized in her English classes, from seventh grade to ninth grade. Outside of school, Carrino-Mills enjoys spending time outside, reading, or hanging out with her friends & family.
$350
$500