It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year: March Madness!

It's time to fill out your brackets again, folks!

Jason Dean

Kamryn Torr, Editor In Chief

It is officially March and everyone knows what that means: March Madness is right around the corner.

No matter what year it is or what teams qualify to get into the tournament, the teams that play never disappoint. Last year, March Madness resulted in a “Cinderella Story” run for South Carolina University and a heartbreak upset loss for Duke University in the second round of the tournament. Last April, the tournament wrapped up in Phoenix, Ariz., where the North Carolina Tar Heels beat the Gonzaga Bulldogs for the National Championship title.

This kind of action keeps even people who don’t usually watch basketball paying attention to the tournament because it is so exciting and filled with upsets and “Cinderella Story” type situations. No one ever really knows who will come out and stun the committee and the viewers. Even those who don’t get excited or watch the tournament itself enjoy making a bracket and competing with friends and family. Some may even make bets about who will win the tournament or who will make the biggest upset in the tournament. And let’s be honest–upsets are best part of the tournament.

Several teams that are on the bubble of qualifying for the tournament started to stand out towards the end of the regular season, right as conference tournaments began. The Miami Hurricanes traveled to North Carolina to take on the Tar Heels in late February and defeated North Carolina (#9). In addition to defeating the Tar Heels, Miami also had some significant wins against Minnesota (#12) and Florida State (#24).

Virginia Tech is another team that made a stand for themselves at the end of the regular season. The Hokies defeated both Duke (#5) and Clemson (#15) towards the end of February just as the regular season was coming to a close. They had also defeated North Carolina (#10) and Virginia (#2) during their regular season.  

The Penn State Nittany Lions also made a decent run throughout the season to try making it into the discussion about the tournament. The Nittany Lions defeated the Ohio State Buckeyes three times throughout the season, twice during the regular season and once in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament.

March Madness is one of the best times of year because it brings the basketball community together to enjoy a very exciting tournament consisting of upsets and buzzer beater shots. Each year, there is always that one team that makes a run in the tournament and stuns everyone. That team is the best team because it messes up everyone’s bracket and makes for an exciting rest of the tournament.

About the Writer
Kamryn Torr, Editor In Chief

Senior Kamryn Torr has been a part of the Trail staff for 4 years. After being a staff writer her freshman year and sports editor her sophomore year, this will be Kamryn’s second year as Editor in Chief for the Trail. Aside from her interest in journalism, Kamryn loves sports. Her passion for sports includes soccer and football. She began playing soccer when she was three years old, but the week before her junior year started, she suffered her third concussion in less than two years and will no longer be playing soccer. Kamryn loves college football, especially Penn State. She is a diehard Penn State fan because both of her parents attended college there. She combines her journalism capabilities and her love for sports into sports writing; Kamryn is often live Tweeting MHS sporting events. 

• It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year: March Madness!

A&E

In Memoriam: Stan Lee, the Marvelous Man Himself

Cross Country

Cross Country Team Competes in State Competition

• Sports

NBA Season Preview

Athlete of the Week

Athlete of the Week: Bruce Carpenter

Athlete of the Week

Athlete of the Week: Dominique Savain

News

MHS Athletes Dance with the Chiefettes

• Opinion

Seniors: With age comes responsibility. Go vote.

Sports

The Trail’s College Football Picks of the Week

• Opinion

Staff Editorial: Response To Disrespect of McIntosh Students

Sports

The Trail’s College Football Picks of the Week!