Breaking News
  • April 295/2 SENIORS: cap and gown, honor cord and tassel pick up @ lunch
  • April 295/4 Track and Field: 5A Sectional Championship
  • April 294/29-30 Girls Tennis: State Tournament
  • April 295/1-6 Girls Tennis: State Tournament
  • April 295/1-6 Boys Tennis: State Tournament
  • April 294/29-30 Boys Tennis: State Tournament
Don't Miss a Minute of McIntosh.

McIntosh Trail - The Student News Site of McIntosh High School

Don't Miss a Minute of McIntosh.

Don't Miss a Minute of McIntosh.

Support Us
$350
$500

Your donation supports the student journalists of McIntosh High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase photography equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

The price one girl paid for an education

It’s nearing the end of the first nine weeks spent at McIntosh this school year and students can already smell the peppermint sticks and hot chocolate of Semester Break. Classes have settled into routine and teachers’ grace periods are, for the most part, over. The first report card of the year will come home in a matter of days; students are back to scheming of ways to alter its contents or detain its delivery into their parents’ waiting hands.

The general consensus is that the sooner this year is over with, the better.

But we need to remember what a privilege it is that we are not only allowed, but encouraged to be educated in our country.

Malala Yousufzai would have given anything to have the opportunities we have in the United States, and she did. On October 9, she was shot in the head and neck while riding a school bus home. According to The Guardian, She is unconcious and in critical condition at a hospital in her native Pakistan.

It was not a random act of violence. Fourteen year old Malala was targeted by the Taliban for attending school despite being a girl.

In 2009, Swat Valley, where Malala lived, was taken over by Fazlullah, also known as Radio Mullah. One of his first actions was to order that all girls’ schools be shut down. Malala, 11 at the time, started a blog under the pen name Gul Makai for the British Broadcasting Corporation, or BBC.

She became a person of interest for the Taliban government, but she continued to fight for what she believed in, death threats or no. Her first blog post (can be found on bbc.co.uk) outlined the situation, “On my way from school to home I heard a man saying ‘I will kill you’. I hastened my pace and after a while I looked back if the man was still coming behind me. But to my utter relief he was talking on his mobile and must have been threatening someone else over the phone.”

Malala predicted what would happen to her; in an interview with Farah Hussain for the Pakistani television show, Morning With Farah, she said,  “I think of it often and imagine the scene clearly. Even if they come to kill me, I will tell them what they are trying to do is wrong, that education is our basic right.”

It has been over three years since her first post. Numerous efforts have been made both supporting her and opposing her. And only now is her story making headlines in the United States. President Obama has called the attack on Malala “reprehensible, disgusting and tragic.” Feminists and educators around the world are anxiously awaiting her recovery and next move.

This should be a wake up call for those who complain about schools and education being a waste of time. Every moment spent freely learning is a treasure that we should learn to appreciate. If school is something worth dying for, shouldn’t we be trying our hardest to make sacrifices like Malala’s remembered?

View Comments (66)
$350
$500