From paper to digital

The first digitally-formatted PSAT was administered nationwide on Oct. 11
From paper to digital

In January of 2022, the College Board switched PSAT/NMSQT and SATs to digital versions. In accordance with the digital versions of SAT being administered in March 2024, the PSAT’s were given digitally in Oct. 2023.

“We are making a full transition to digital, so once we begin administering the SAT Suite digitally we will no longer offer a paper and pencil version of the tests. Though we will continue to support students who test with accommodations that require a paper and pencil test,” according to the College Board’s website.

On Oct. 2, McIntosh completed a “digital testing readiness check” in order for testing day to run smoothly. Students familiarized themselves with the application Bluebook, which is used for digital testing. Accommodations were confirmed and students had the opportunity to answer practice PSAT questions.  Proctors printed and distributed student’s test tickets and instructed students according to this checklist

“I think the PSAT check day wasn’t an overall good experience. I think it was very poorly organized. Maybe my class just didn’t go as well but everything was confusing,” sophomore Emily Veerman said.

The PSAT shows students their strengths and weaknesses to help them prepare for the SAT. A common misconception is that the College Board sends students’ PSAT scores to colleges.

“The student can grow in that time if it’s a really low score and if it’s a really high score the [student’s score] can decrease at any time so its a point where they might use that and it could be really biased because you don’t know the time differences of what they learn and how they did at those different times,” sophomore CJ Boxhill said.

Students experienced technical difficulties through Bluebook not being able to load into tests. Students had difficulties logging into Bluebook, when students opened the application it left them on a loading screen. The College Board created a Help page for Bluebook troubleshooting.

Maybe my class just didn’t go as well but everything was confusing.”

— Emily Veerman, sophomore

“Most of the time we just sat there in silence waiting for our Chromebooks to load into Bluebook,” Veerman said. 

As a result of COVID-19 procedure, most colleges have continued to use optional SAT/ACT score submission. 

“Many colleges were shifting away from requiring ACT or SAT scores long before COVID, arguing in part that exam scores can contribute to inequities in admissions. Given obstacles to taking the tests as the virus spread, the trend accelerated over the last few years,” according to the article “SAT, ACT testing requirements paused during pandemic are now permanently optional at some colleges” published in USA Today

Some seniors aren’t comfortable admitting they aren’t going to take the ACT or SAT, but Trail Editor-in-Chief Rebekah Bushmire is not one of them.

“I am applying to Clayton State and if you have a  high enough GPA, and I meet the GPA requirement, I don’t see the point in taking a really long, boring test that I don’t feel is a good judgement of IQ. Even though my school counselor has told me ‘You should sign up before December,’ but I talked to my family about it and my dad said, ‘Don’t take it,'” Bushmire said.

$350
$500

Grace Lovejoy
Grace Lovejoy, Features Editor
Grace Lovejoy is serving as the Features Editor for the McIntosh Trail this year. Lovejoy is a sophomore this year and ia McIntosh Ambassador and a Gold Honor Roll Student. Lovejoy first started journalism In sixth grade at J.C Booth Middle School working for the online newsletter. She joined the Mcintosh Trail last year and was promoted to Features Editor as a sophomore. Last year, Lovejoy won the Trail staff’s first Best of SNO Excellence in writing badge for her story “Collision course: teens and golf cart accidents in Peachtree City”. In the fall, she followed and wrote multiple stories about Taylor Swift vs. Ticketmaster. At the Georgia Scholastic Press Association’s Spring Convention, she won a superior in depth news story award for her story, “The Saga of Taylor Swift Tickets: “The Great War '' between fans and Ticketmaster”. Lovejoy is now seeing her first year as a New Voices Student Leader at the Student Press Law Center for the 2023-2024 school year. She also applied to Teen Insight, a fully teen-run student online newspaper created by New Voices Leaders. Last year, Lovejoy was a part of the McIntosh Drama Department’s one act and the McIntosh Girls Varsity Tennis Team. Lovejoy loves journaling, organizing and acting. She is very excited to help new staffers have a successful first year of highschool journalism!
$350
$500